The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

14b rebuild kit

belize1334

I picked up what was supposed to be a low mileage 14b but it's got a little shaft play (maybe 0.25mm axial and 1mm lateral) and there was some oil on the center section that may have been from the P.O.'s engine or may be seeping from the seals. I'm thinking I may rebuild it for piece of mind. The wheels and compressor housing are in impeccable shape.

I know people recommend ForcePerformance who sells a $100 kit but I'm hoping to get people's input on a slightly less expensive Egay version.

click

They clearly indicate the difference between the flat and super-back style so it seems like they know what they're talking about. What bothers me is the images of the "improved" thrust bearing. Note that the oiling hole is larger and elongated laterally vs. the OEM oiling hole which is sort-of tear-drop shaped and elongated radially.

For comparison, this is what the OEM thrust washer looks like. click

Should I be concerned about this different design?

89Mirageman

Contact jusmx141 on dsmtuners, he has rebuilt a ton of 14b's so I'm sure he can point you in the right direction. He also has a few write-ups with step by step instructions over there. They helped me a ton when I rebuilt the 13g for my colt.

cheekychimp

^ I'll second that. This guy has exceptional knowledge of turbos in general. He pretty much single handedly documented, investigated and solved the issue of Holsets and many T3 Garrett turbos going bye bye for no apparent reason (oil drain fittings undersized!). The guy know his stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned