The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

14b porting or upgrade

Barnes

I would highly recommend just getting a completely new turbo. It will save you a lot of headache and give you a much nicer upgrade overall.

Evo3 16g

Do you have supporting mods?

LordAthey

yes i have pistons, cranks, rods, 272 cams, 550 injectors, 3 inch cold air intake, 3 inch exhaust, afc, gauges, evo 3 mani and 02 housing. I just kinda wanted to stick with a smaller turbo have read some people have done it any opinions?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rausch

Most will see the same or similar spool with the Evo III vs the 14b. The Evo III is capable of flowing more, and generally is a better 'performance' option.

Hertz

Staff member
Odds are an original 14b is going to have some severe cracking/material missing... look around the wastegate flapper. It's probably choked with carbon and the blades are likely chipped.

Since you'd likely need a new housing and a rebuild, you might as well go for the EvoIII 16g, it's the same factory quality and is only a little larger than a 14b but is more advanced in metallurgy and design.

I looked into this a long time ago and quickly found that it is NOT cost effective. To convert the 14b to a 16G you're going to need a regular rebuild which will cost a few hundred from a good shop that does it right, PLUS the cost of the new bigger compressor wheel, machining the compressor housing, and almost for sure a replacement turbine housing. By then you're at or over the cost of buying a brand new 16G outright, and definitely over the cost of buying a good used 16G. Keep an eye on the for sale section here, a couple years ago I picked up a used but good EVO III for $350. You'll spend more than that to convert your 14b.

Yea im pretty sure you're better off buying a 16g. I'll probably be cheaper, less headaches and faster to get and install. Goodluck

JSchleim18

Make sure you go with the Evo III 16G as it flows the best out of the 16G family. There are a few 16G's (small, big, Evo III, china-ebay GT special).

Jesh

just throwing in my 2 cents worth... a 14b is going to fully spool by 2500-2600rpms (i might be a little off) and give you pretty good pull up to about 5000rpms, then it will be working way too hard to supply the amount of air required for that rpm. a 16g on the other hand, (i have a big 16G so its gunna be a little different) will fully spool at about 3500-3600rpms and give you good pull throughout the rpms range, so you will lose some drivability, but you will gain some top end power. it won't be a huge amount but you will be able to tell that your car pulls harder in the upper rpms. hope this helps. good luck on the car!

belize1334

Quoting JSchleim18:
Make sure you go with the Evo III 16G as it flows the best out of the 16G family. There are a few 16G's (small, big, Evo III, china-ebay GT special).

IIRC the s16g actually has higher efficiency up to about 20psi so unless you're trying to break 350whp on a 16g I think that the s16g is a better turbo. It spools a little faster and you can usually find them used for pretty cheep. The downside is that they don't have the high nickel content exhaust housing so it's probably gonna be cracked to sh*t just like a 14b. That's why I run an evoiii exhaust housing with my s16g. Great spool, super efficient in the sub-20psi range, and a nice exhaust housing. Of course, like all 16gs, it creeps like crazy...but that's the price you pay.

From Stealth316.com:

TD05H-16G large wheel...In the TD05H housing, efficiency decreases slightly (compared to the small 16G)but flow increases favorably for very high boost levels in our engine.

(EVO III 16G) The compressor inducer is a little larger (0.01") than the "big" 16G...Max flow is better than the 16G "large wheel". Efficiency is much better than the 16G "large wheel". At 5000 to 8000 RPM and above, this turbo offers very high boost levels and so very high flow levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts