The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1226/2000

EHmotorsports

If the numbers match then it's whatever the numbers say. And they are saying it's a big EVO 3 MHI. Most china made turbos will not have the stamped numbers on them.

coyotes

the number on the compressor side indicates standard big 16g: 49178-01(42)0

the number on the exhaust side seems to indicate evo iii housing: 78-13700 070 F5

I am glad to know it's MHI though. I think Brett just wants to give me a hard time

Last edited:

GSTwithPSI

I'm being completely serious. That doesn't look like a MHI turbine housing. The X04 markings match the Ebay type turbine housings, which is why I brought it up. The casting looks clean, so I wouldn't really worry about it either way. The CHRA is what matters, and I mentioned the funny looking turbine housing as a precautionary measure for you to make sure you don't have an Ebay turbo on your hands. Paul is a trustworthy guy, so I'm sure you're ok.

EHmotorsports

the evo 1 16g looks different then the evo 2 and 3 turbos. the turbo he has is an evo 3 big 16g and looks exactly as it should.

EHmotorsports

look at the link i posted Brett it looks exactly the same.http://www.extremepsi.com/store/product.php?productid=16296\

Last edited:

coyotes

Paul didn't advertise it to me as an MHI, I don't think there are any other housings though that would put those codes on there. Most ebay turbos say EVO 16G or TURBOCHARGER on them real big. I'll take the o2 housing off and see what the wheel and wastegate look like.

I don't think FP would touch a non MHI housing and port it out.

coyotes

Quoting GSTwithPSI:
click

See the X04 stamped on the on the turbine housing? Just saying, looks like an Ebay housing to me, whether it came from FP or not. Not saying it's junk, just saying it ain't MHI, yanno? Who'd you get that turbo from?

Curious. I see that. But the item is advertised as a "Mitsubishi" Evo III turbo. So that auction has to be for a MHI turbo, it says no fakes.

strokin4dr

Post a pic of the front of the turbo where the actuator arm attaches to the flapper arm.

mitsuturbo

Genuine MHI turbine housings have the triple diamond embossed on them on the outside of the lowest point of the volute. IT should precede the number you've posted here. I don't know that any of the chinabay knockoffshit has that on them. I would suspect they probably do not, as mitsubishi somewhat aggressively pursues those that use their logo illicitly. Who knows, though. They kind of do whatever the hell they want in chinese labor camps.

coyotes

Yeah there's no mitsu diamond anywhere on the turbo. I'm guessing at least the exhaust housing is not mitsu, however it was ported out by FP. The compressor side, I have no idea. Just gonna run it, don't care. It's not a cheapo ebay turbo at least.

coyotes

well I got the VR4 mostly put back together. fixed the bad o ring on the water pipe, replaced all the water lines with new, got everything all nice and cleaned up. I lost my 22mm socket though somewhere, so I couldn't tighten down the water fitting on the turbo. I'm also having trouble getting all the hard lines hooked up and have the turbo be in position to bolt up to the manifold.

Is it just easier to install the whole thing already connected to the exhaust manifold? Debating buying soft turbo lines to ease install.

transparentdsm

when i swap turbos i connect and tighten all the water and oil lines that i can and the just attach the bolts to the manifold hand tighten and once i get the manifold bolted to the head i tighten the 4 turbo bolts.

coyotes

Tomorrow. I got a bunch of stuff still to get done to the car. timing covers, p/s and a/c belts, etc.. need an exhaust gasket for the downpipe. car needs a wash bad, and clean out all the parts and misc. crap that's made its way into the car over the past month or two.

Glad to have it back though. Feels good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I didn't think it was any faster, but after another drive it definitely has picked up some more power.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts