The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wing for the one lap team. done with pictures and shipped

^^^the way the above works is by looking at the bottom. that huge channel under the car is what I was mentioning in my previous posts about creating areas of low to negative pressures under the car.

Also, the car above is a front wheel drive drag car that typically goes straight. you really don't need down force in the rear of the car, but you do in the front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barnes

I think the simplest solution is to the wing very high, and removable. You could buy wing struts for air planes to create the vertical portion of the assembly. Then buy some kinda off the shelf airfoil for cars. Create some kinda bracket that protrudes through the bumper that attaches to the wing and can be removed with ease.

Or is this kinda thing forbidden in One Lap?

GreenGSX

There are not many rules in One Lap but this also has to serve some regular over the road driving so it has to fit in a parking spot and not kill people walking past. I like the idea of just mounting it off the trunk lid close to the roof line while keeping our tight schedule and no budget in mind. I could see the use of clevis pins to mount the wing so we can just pull a few pins and have it off the car.

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting BarnesMobile:
I think the simplest solution is to the wing very high, and removable. You could buy wing struts for air planes to create the vertical portion of the assembly. Then buy some kinda off the shelf airfoil for cars. Create some kinda bracket that protrudes through the bumper that attaches to the wing and can be removed with ease.

Or is this kinda thing forbidden in One Lap?

Do a removable front....and rear wing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

nrvous

You guys are amazing. I spend my 3 days outside building barns and you have brought more information on aerodynamics to the table than I could have imagined. The question was raised on whether we "need" a wing. All I know that around 135-140 the rear gets loose on that car around Daytona, creating a pucker affect in the drivers seat and a lifting of the throttle. I buried the needle for the last laps, but it is was only because I found smooth enough line to believe I wasn't going to die.

We might not have the big tracks to contend with the "need" for a wing, but it is really hard not to try when wings are presented.
I need to import some of you guys to upstate NY, although that might be dangerous. I don't suppose anybody works for a company who makes pressure sensors so we can get logs of the downforce this thing will apply.

Stephen

Olson

i work on jet engines.....

RayH

2jgoing.JPG

Ok, time to get serious with some suction fans a la Chaparral 2J

Quote:
The vacuum-traction system allowed the chapparal to generate up to 0.5 g more lateral acceleration during cornering; at all speeds.

2J at Watkins Glen

curtis

Quoting nrvous:
You guys are amazing. I spend my 3 days outside building barns and you have brought more information on aerodynamics to the table than I could have imagined. The question was raised on whether we "need" a wing. All I know that around 135-140 the rear gets loose on that car around Daytona, creating a pucker affect in the drivers seat and a lifting of the throttle. I buried the needle for the last laps, but it is was only because I found smooth enough line to believe I wasn't going to die.

We might not have the big tracks to contend with the "need" for a wing, but it is really hard not to try when wings are presented.
I need to import some of you guys to upstate NY, although that might be dangerous. I don't suppose anybody works for a company who makes pressure sensors so we can get logs of the downforce this thing will apply.

Stephen

Range needs to be really high and could be mounted on the back wing mount might check ebay bay only be a few bucks for one. By using just a thin one on each side you could adjust the wing dependent on force to dial it in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

As for use coming to NY God doesn't allow people like use to congregate for more than a few hours at one spot, we get dangerous

RedTwo

You don't need a wing that big... you need 3! The second on the roof, and the third on top of the second! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

SCCA World Challenge GT Spec right to the limit = roof height or lower, car width at widest part or less, wing shall not hang beyond the plane of the rear bumper

GreenGSX

Quoting VR4orce CJ:
img.php

These are exactly what I was looking for. Anybody know this guy?

steve

I do believe VR4orce CJ is that guy.

GreenGSX

Well, good lord where has he been? Lets get a full data dump.. did the wing work? How did you build the front splitter? how did you adjust the aero? More pictures!

curtis

Tim click his link in his signature and go reading

steve

Maybe curtis meant the link in his profile. click

Ralli380Gvr4

Quoting evo8ya:
here are some universal vortex generators that would help direct air to the wing. I've seen before and after vids using the string tests and they really do work.
click

My official vote is VG's and an oem Evo III wing. IMO it's the only wing that follows the e39a's body line w/o looking out of place. I was searching through my hard drive looking for pics of one mounted but couldn't find it. I know it has been done though.

Here's an example on a Evo III.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned