The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Enough with the wing...how about splitter design?

AWDnoobie

Looks really good on the vr4. Are you going to be adding side skirts also?

GreenGSX

No side skirts for the race. I am almost out of time and I can't add any more projects. I've saved this week to tune the car on speed density and to get the new injectors dialed in.

Building the splitter has kind of opened my mind to aerodynamics and I can envision side skirts and a full under car tray that leads to a rear diffuser. Most of which looks simple to build using more of the alumalite material.

Ralli380Gvr4

Aero makes it look like a time attack monster /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

cool.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif Well done man. Looks good, hopefully it funtions that way too. Nice fab skills. Good luck

Olson

Some food for thought.
Creating more down force isn the front is going to leave the rearend lose at speed. When you put down force at one end you HAVE to equal it out on the other end to make it handle well.
Something easy for a rear wing. Old school nascar style wing.

Looks good so far, your going to create alot of front down for with that large of a spliter, alos you should get batter cooling

GreenGSX

I finished the splitter today and drove the car into work after lunch. I apologize but I managed to put a big greasy finger on the lens of the camera so there is a bit of fuz in the middle of all these shots. The one picture where the lip is close to the ground is me pulling out of my own driveway. The drive goes downhill with a little culvert at the end. I am starting to think that I will have to shorten the lip back a bit to help with ground clearance. I don't think we would have an issue on track with it as is but it has to survive 3600 miles of transit driving.

Here are the shots.

Last edited:

GreenGSX

Quoting Olson:
Some food for thought.
Creating more down force isn the front is going to leave the rearend lose at speed. When you put down force at one end you HAVE to equal it out on the other end to make it handle well.
Something easy for a rear wing. Old school nascar style wing.

Looks good so far, your going to create alot of front down for with that large of a spliter, alos you should get batter cooling

You are 100% right but you've got things backwards. Check out this thread click

We are putting a wing on the car and the splitter I just built is to balance out the added down force the wing is going to generate.

Olson

Good deal i didnt knwo what the end result was for the rear wing. Hope the car sticks well. Also looking at the black "58" car in that thread the splitter isnt as large as yours .... somthing to look into i guess

GreenGSX

The 58 car is owned by a board member here and its a real race car so the design specifications are are kept private. We have been in conversation and he has helped me with the design of this splitter but it should be looked at as a totally different animal. Mine is lower, bigger, and a unitized construction. For better or worse it is what it is and there is very little time to work out much more of the details. That is one of the reasons it was built oversize so that I could cut it down as needed to find my sweet spot. No way to make it bigger.

Olson

Good deal curtis.
talk to Gixxerdrew over at tuners. If he can help you that would be awsome hes got his own TA car did his own aero work and put it in a computer added system.
just a thought.

Looks damn good /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif. I can't wait to see the car in action. I'm getting excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Terry Posten

I just hope you can avoid the potholes that these winters leave us with.

See you guys at Road America.

Terrance362

Looks damn good. Are the roads ready for one lap? Hey I have been meaning to ask what size tire are you running on one lap and are those just stock mustang wheels??

GreenGSX

Most of the website is up to date so you can get our full specifications here click

We are running 17" x 9" Mustang cobra wheels with a 5.94" backspacing. The tires are Dunlop star-specs in 255/40-17. In order the biggies you have to have coil-overs as the stock spring perch gets in the way.

AWDnoobie

That sure makes the car look meaner, I hope the time and effort pays off in the end for it. Oh would you happen to have any pictures of how the spliter is mounted under the vr4?

GreenGSX

I don't have the under the car photos yet. Its been on the car for a while now so I could see if it was going to make the trip or not. It's not an elaborate mounting system. Its just three 1/2" nuts welded to the bottom of the engine cross-member with a third nut welded to the bottom of the radiator core support. There are three 1" aluminum tube risers that go through the splitter and the 1" tube frame that act as spacers. The height of the risers were adjusted to get the splitter level and to the height I wanted. I can move the height up or down by cutting the risers or adding washers/longer bolts.

To get this on and off the car I have to jack up the passenger side pretty high, then crawl head first under the car like I am looking at the business end of the dump-tube, and then I just use my gut to hold the splitter while hand threading in the bolts. It takes longer to jack the car up then it does to bolt it on. I have some threaded rod that I can use to screw into the nuts to act as guide rods but I haven't needed them yet.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned