The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

wing for the one lap team. done with pictures and shipped

Whoodoo

I think all the way up to roof level will definitely score you some clean air, but if its gonna cost you to get it up that high, I don't know if the benefits will be that noticeable. You could always go superbird style /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif:
1960d1196755730-swiss-traffic-police-uk-cars-1970-superbird-64ii.jpg

CarRacer

Completed the application of the yarn and tape to the car tonight. I got home later from dinner than I thought I would, so I only got a few crappy videos.
Hopefully the video is useful to Curtis, but I can go out and shoot some more tomorrow after work. I didn't get a chance to complete the wooden dowel setup either for seeing what the air looks like at different heights off of the rear wing. I wanted to get the string attached to the car and get something for Curtis to work with before the daylight ended.

YT video, shaky cam style.

Olson

Higher the better to get clean air. that is why ams did what they did. Also like someone said smooth the bottom of the car out.
click
same stuff dsg used on there car. make the air move faster on the bottom than the top will do the same thing a wing does suck it to the ground.
jake

curtis

The belly pans are really a good idea Tim. You could use the subframe connectors as the inboard and then weld a piece of 1 x 1 to the factory rocker rail and attach it to there then in the back use the edge of the gas tank and then slide it under the bumper cover and screw through the cover into the panel material. There's a alot of room between the tank and the cover and I've seen different cars going down the interstate pulling the cover down and looks like a giant air brake.

As for the video try and watch one set of strings then watch it again and again. It really looks like the air is coming down to the trunk or it could be the wind coming around the sides. I did notice the middle lines getting sucked up like the wind is coming off like a rolling barrel but the fender strings are running straight back as well as the wing. Need to think on this but the factory wing looks like it is working really better than I thought I was expecting to see strings on the wing standing up and going crazy. I really think a set of generators on top would change the lines in the center of the glass but wonder what would happen at different speeds as well as having the wing removed. Insert smiley scratching head. I need to think, this is way better than I thought, maybe these aren't as big of bricks as we thought. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Going to watch video more and more.

James big thanks to you and the wife. Mine would just laugh at me if I said I wanted to do this.

CarRacer

Here's a better video of just the rear window. The edges of the window flowed well to the trunk but the center had a lot of air moving back up the window.

Rear window air test.

GreenGSX

Here is last years mid-priced sedan winner's Impreza (Sti wolf in sheeps clothing) sporting a new Aeromotions style wing and front splitter. The height looks to be just under the roof line.

evo8ya

here are some universal vortex generators that would help direct air to the wing. I've seen before and after vids using the string tests and they really do work.
click

blacksheep

I thought the VG's actually "disturbed" the air and helped guide it under wing to add downforce. Just a VG is a horrible idea - like half of the wingless Evo guys - pretty retarted if you ask me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Barnes

As posted by someone earlier. VG's also reduce drag in addition to increasing the velocity of the air that the wing 'sees'.

rheckert

Quoting blacksheep:
I thought the VG's actually "disturbed" the air and helped guide it under wing to add downforce. Just a VG is a horrible idea - like half of the wingless Evo guys - pretty retarted if you ask me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I concure with KC. The VG is used to disturb the air to get it to follow closer to the car so the air directed at the wing is moving faster to creat more downforce. If the wing is mounted high enought VG are only going to increase drag.

Spliters and belley bans increase drag and create down force. Wings create down force and increase drag. When you increase downforce drag increases.

Barnes

GOD f***ing DAMNIT! Here we f***ing go AGAIN with the stupid fluid dynamics. Read the motherfucking article posted by the guy in the beginning of the thread. VG's delay flow separation. Flow separation creates drag. Added bonus for cars with wings: 'better' air over the wing.

curtis

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

No fuild was used in the videos above just air

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Barnes

Just an FYI to everyone, Curtis is joking. He obviously knows that air is a fluid.

RayH

For reference, here what the underside of an Elise looks like:

144028d1269872628-sale-2005-starlight-black-elise-18k-miles-img_3872.jpg
144030d1269872628-sale-2005-starlight-black-elise-18k-miles-img_3874.jpg

Muskrat

^^^+1

They reduce boundry layer separation. Aero drag is mainly caused by air needing to be moved around the vehicle, and by a large wake. The more the air "hugs" the vehicle, the smaller the wake. Vortex generators don't do anything to aid in downforce, unless paired with a wing. They are just another type of spoiler.

Last edited:

Quoting Olson:
Higher the better to get clean air. that is why ams did what they did. Also like someone said smooth the bottom of the car out.
click
same stuff dsg used on there car. make the air move faster on the bottom than the top will do the same thing a wing does suck it to the ground.
jake

well it not so much about making the air smooth out under the car. but creating areas of low pressure to "suck" the car to the ground.

Olson

truth i just didnt go into it to much figured everyone would get the idea

toybreaker

iconoclast
Two words...

Global Warming

oh, sh*t that not them.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

"Gurney Flap"

If all you're trying to do is kill lift without excessively increasing drag, a gurney flap is a nice, asthetically pleasing mod that flat works.

SmoothCustomer

Have we come to a consensus about the height of the thing? It seems like you need it high to get clean air, but I wonder what it would be like if you just moved it back like you were talking about kind of like a car like this (slightly hard to see):

2006_scion_tc_nhra_drag_racer_kenny_tran_3_4_driver_rear_l.jpg

I don't know though. I'm not very well versed in physics like some of you guys.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned