The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Top mounted intercooler, very short route and hood scooped! *UPDATE*

misterfixit

Just a silly question.

But first I really like the idea and your go so far.

When you are running at speed could you run air over the intercooler the other way? Like a duct from where the foglight is or out the side behind the headlight.

Is there a way you could duct from underneath, then up and over the hood? Something similar to the side mount coolers on group 'c' cars. Hot air goes upwards naturally, look at the hood on a 205t16 where the air is drawn back and up through. Second effect would be air rushing over the hood would pull air up through the core.

Rich

TomN

Quoting rdomeck:
^ It is. But it's no different than most others out there and I don't feel like that's my huge heat issue....Maybe some, but not the 150 degree's that I am seeing!

Yes many do it this way. But it's wrong. It's why many struggle to do what only a few can. Cause they say well most others do this.
I garantee you if you have the intake pipe go over the frame rail and down into the fender and pull fresh air from there you will see a differance. Will it alone get you where you want intake temp wise? Maybe not but it's a start towards doing it right.
I like your idea and think it could work with some adjustments. But pulling hot air from the engine bay is a bad start.

rdomeck

Quoting misterfixit:
Just a silly question.

But first I really like the idea and your go so far.

When you are running at speed could you run air over the intercooler the other way? Like a duct from where the foglight is or out the side behind the headlight.

Is there a way you could duct from underneath, then up and over the hood? Something similar to the side mount coolers on group 'c' cars. Hot air goes upwards naturally, look at the hood on a 205t16 where the air is drawn back and up through. Second effect would be air rushing over the hood would pull air up through the core.

Rich

Rich, With a lot more development I could. I thought about doing it this way when I first started, but liked the idea of a hood opening. I won't rule out the idea in the future, but would really like to be driving my car and know that I'm not beating the crap out of the inside with 150+ degree temps going into it!

rdomeck

This is what I ended up doing.

click

Hopefully I will have a chance to develop the top mount option down the road.

Thanks for all the helpful input and encouragement!

James

If you ever plan on getting rid of the hood, make sure I'm first on the list.

rdomeck

The fresh air will be directed over to the air filter. I will build an air box to make all the cold air go directly to the filter element.

If there is enough interest I could take a mold of it and reproduce them. Would need at least ten people on board to make it worth the effort though!

rdomeck

Update. It seems like a lot of people ask about throttle response to the side mount vs the front mount. I really cannot tell a difference. Intake temps are very low compared to the side mount. I am not seeing anything above 93 degrees on an 85 degree day with my EVO 9 set up. I'm glad I tried something different and I still really like the way the hood looks. I will make an air box for the intake to pull air in this winter if I'm not driving the car for some reason......Now I just need to learn this whole tuning thing and get it running right!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned