The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slave Cylinder...how different than DSM?

I bought a master and slave set off of ebay for a 90-93 DSM. The Slave I pulled off the car had a green piston and the orientation of the bleeder screw and banjo bolt was opposite. This is how the two bolts sit. Made bleeding easy since the bleed screw faces the bottom of the car.

img.php

The one that came with the kit is a DSM part number (didn't know that DSM slaves and GVR4 slaves were different until after I bought it).
It is harder to bleed because the screw is at the top. I had to bend the clutch slave line a bit (didn't kink it) to make it all fit.

This is how the bolts sit:

img.php

I also read that there are numerous differences like green and red pistons and don't know how that all applies to the GVR4.

Wish that I bought OEM but now I am stuck with this stuff.

Info is appreciated.

Thanks

pauleyman

They aren't different. What you likely have is an NT slave cylinder. The red and green are piston sizes and yes it makes a difference. I can't remember why the bleed is oriented differently but you must get a slave for an AWD car.

Thanks,

Did a bit more research and I found some interesting stuff. It seems that the 92 GVR4 and 1g slave's throw is further than the 92 GVR4 and 2g slave. I think that the DSM slave actually has the bleeders oriented differently. I still think that I do have a DSM AWD slave...but the orientation is kind of confusing.

Check this out....

click

Here is what I ended up with......

click

mikus

I bought a box store slave a few cars back and had this come up. The one I got with this orientation failed pretty early, but others have held fine. Next time get OEM for hydraulic stuff, but, it'll work fine.

The green piston unit you're replacing has less throw than the red/pink/gold, so you're either 'same' or might need to adjust clutch a bit under the dash. You'll be under there sorting that master cylinder stud anyway.

524of1000

I have the 1g AWD slave on my 92 VR4 and besides the rubber dust cover falling apart way early, it fits/works fine.

broxma

And the Infiniti Q45 one works as well and is larger than any of the ones mentioned thus far. Just gotta find the right one from the right year car.

/brox

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned