The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How to bleed a clutch master cylinder

galantrevolution

I been having problems with my clutch pedal the i loose pressure, so i found the my master cylinder and slave cylinder were leaking,so i replace both, but when i bleed them it builds pressure, but when start the car will loose pressure, does anyone knows if there is a special way to bleed the clutch system?

Terry Posten

Your post is kind of confusing.

The clutch system is a completely isolated system and has nothing to do with the engine on or off.

Bleeding the slave can be a real pain. I use a clear hose (about a foot long) that fits over the bleeder and let it fall into a cup that is filled about 1/2 way with brake fluid. Make sure the hose end is submerged in the fluid.

Top off the master reservoir and keep it full (second person is really helpful).

Crack open the bleeder and gently pump the pedal to get the fluid moving. Watch the clear hose and keep moving the fluid (keep the reservoir full) until you see no more air bubbles.

Once the air is out, tighten the bleeder and top off the reservoir.

Quoting galantrevolution:
I been having problems with my clutch pedal the i loose pressure, so i found the my master cylinder and slave cylinder were leaking,so i replace both, but when i bleed them it builds pressure, but when start the car will loose pressure, does anyone knows if there is a special way to bleed the clutch system?

I was a little confused too. but everything Terry said is right. it really helps to have an extra person to hold the pedal down while you're under the car opening and closing the bleeder and trying to remove all the bubbles. it's funny that this post is here today, I had my slave cylinder go out on my car today and had to do all of this in the parking lot of our community rec center..replacing and bleeding of all of this took me around 20 mins, took longer to locate an available slave cylinder.

remember. open the bleeder valve while someone is holding the clutch peddle down, let it bleed the air out, close valve, then release the peddle. it's really simple. if you think you have a lot of air in the line then leave the valve open and pump the clutch peddle a few times till a decent amount comes out, then go back and do the normal bleeding process. I had to do all of this, because I lost ALL of the fluid in my clutch system.

galantrevolution

i beentrying a lot of ways but still have air on the system, i will keep trying until i get out

you may have an air leak my friend if you have tried those wise fellas suggestions a few times and still find you have a soft pedal. I like to begin with a completely empty system. I then open the slave cylinder bleed screw and fill then fill the reservoir. It may start to drip out the slave cylinder bleed screw and then repeat what the two other wise men have suggested making sure you keep the cap off the reservoir and NEVER let it go near empty. Good luck man, bleeding fluid is such a pain in the ass. The bottle with some fluid in it and the clear hose is priceless advice. If you've done this and no improvement, I don't see a reason not to suspect a small air leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quoting galantrevolution:
i beentrying a lot of ways but still have air on the system, i will keep trying until i get out

If you're still having issues with air in the lines. try tracing out from one end to the other your clutch fluid line, mainly the soft flexible part of tubing that jumps the line over from you wheel well to the transmission.

galantrevolution

i will try that, and also when im pumpping the pedal to bleed the clutch, the pedal wont comeback after sny idea?

IncorpoRatedX

heres some things that may help you in the future.

click

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned