The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

How much did your build cost??

boostedinaz

Right now I have about 1800.00 into 1101 car included. I bought it for 700.00 with no motor and pieced a motor together from bare long block. Cleaned it up and drove it for about 6 months then I noticed a few more things it needed. I have about 300.00 in A/C, wheel bearings, ball joints, brakes, and some other misc stuff. Now it runs great but the bad wheel bearing ate a tire up so now it needs tires.Once it gets tires I can concentrate on making it a little faster instead of bringing it up to par. I have an EVO front mount that I need to make piping for and I'd like to build an exhaust.

NateCrisman

Quoting mitsuturbo:
I just put all my parts and such into a spreadsheet, and i came up with a grand total of $18,210. Including the $2000 i paid for the car. I'm probably into 555/1000, in reality, about 19,000 to 20,000.

WOW, and some of you guys wonder why partouts are so profitable and prevalent in the GVR4 community! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

donkeylips

One of my VR4s was $500 and the other was basically free. Most of the parts can be transferred to another (better) Galant or DSM shell. I always keep that in mind when spending money.

curtis

When rolling wasn't bad but when it went to jackstand status the cheap skate build went down hill since its down anyway I'll do this which became that which turned into everything. Yes everything cage, bushings, brakes, fluidamper, fuel safe, surge tank, megaspit, 8 big injectors, baller ultimate meth kit, evo parts, vw parts, truck parts, even have a cobra supercharger and a few other blowers etc etc. Yes thinking compounded insanity.

Some parts in triplicate because I forgot I had already bought them. Mostly got deals on the stuff but without a day to inventory and a month to clean the shop there's no possible way to know what the bottom line is.

All I lack is time, shop cleaned out, machine work and paint.

pot

Staff member
I compiled my build sheet for just this sort of question one day and of course for my own edification. Outside of G machine acquisition, I've dropped down a total of <b>$4,943.58</b> bones less shipping and what not fees. Is she whack fast -no. Fun to look at and reliable, I think so. Enjoy reviewing what I forked out, absolutely not.

ENGINE

Intake

- AMS VSR (www.automotorsports.com) *Ebay Auction, last one made $ 600.00
- ’90 NT Throttlebody (www.throttlebodys.com) *Tapered/Polished bore $ 165.00
- K&amp;N Air Filter part no. E-2875 (Advance AutoParts) $ 44.94
- 2.5" to 2.75" Silicone 90° Elbow (www.siliconintakes.com) $ 19.99
- 2.5” to 1.75” 45° Degree Elbow (www.siliconeintakes.com) $ 19.99
- T-Bolt Clamp 3”, 2.75”, 2.0”, 2’ Ft. Straight Aluminum pipe $ 20.19

Total = $ 870.11

Exhaust

- EVO III O2 Housing (www.ebay.com) $ 95.66
- RRE Downpipe 2.5” – 3” (www.roadraceengineering.com) $ 230.00
- RRE Cat-Back Exhaust 3” (www.roadraceengineering.com) $ 430.00
- HKS Carbon-Ti Muffler (www.extremepsi.com) $ 375.00
- 4 Layer Metal Exhaust Manifold Gasket (www.roadraceengineering.com) $ 34.00
- 7cm SS Turbine Housing (www.roadraceengineering.com)

Total = $ 1,164.66

Head

- HKS Camshafts 272 part no. 2202-RM005 (www.extremepsi.com $ 329.00
- HKS Camshaft 272 part no. 2202-RM006 (www.extremepsi.com) $ 329.00
- Valve Cover Hex Bolts (www.extremepsi.com) $ 14.95
- Felpro/Valve Stem Seal part no. SS70359 (AutoZone) $ 28.99

Total = $ 701.94

Miscellaneous

- RRE Catchcan (www.roadraceengineering.com) $ 54.00
- Fuel Feed line -6AN part no. PSI-FPRK-Feed-O EM BK (www.extremepsi.com) $ 59.95
- NGK Spark Plug Wires part no. ME64 (www.ebay.com) $ 41.59
- JMF Fabrications Coil Bracket part no JMF DSM-CPBKT-00 (www.jnztuning.net) $ 39.99
- 10ft Black Nylon Tubing Kit for Mechanical Pressure Gauges
part no. CON-009(www.egauges.com) $ 10.79
- Extreme PSI DSM 4g63T Stainless Steel Valve Cover Bolt Set
part no. PSI-VCBK (www.extremepsi.com) $ 14.95
- Boost Control Solenoid Restrictor Removal $ Free
- Silencer Removal $ Free
- Powder Coat Cam Angle Sensor (www.jnztuning.net) $ 8.00
- Powder Coat Upper &amp; Lower Thermostat Housing Black Chrome $ 23.00
- Powder Coat Fuel Rail Black Chrome $ 25.00
- Powder Coat All Bolts for above 3 parts Black Chrome $ 6.00

Total = $ 283.27

Drivetrain

- Driveshaft Support Bushings part no. TSGADSB
(www.tunersnation.com) $ 39.00
- ’93 Eagle tsi Shifter $ Free
- Symborski Shifter Kit part no. 2155591 (www.extremepsi) $ 36.00

Total = $ 75.00

Interior

- ARC Shift Knob part no. ANT4502 (www.lancershop.com) $ 109.95
- Alpine CDA-117 (www.crutchfield.com) $ 349.00
- HKS Turbo Timer Type 1 part no. 41001-AK010 (www.extremepsi.com) $ 124.00
- Turbo Timer Harness part no. GRE-15930002 (www.extremepsi.com) $ 15.00
- VDO Boost Gauge part no. 150-121 (www.egauges.com) $ 30.00
- VDO Water Temperature Gauge part no. 180-101 (www.egauges.com) $ 38.75
- Momo Steering Wheel w/ Boss Kit (www.galantvr4.org [member: mx4] $ 130.00
- Curtis DIN Gauge Panel (www.galantvr4.org [member: Curtis]) $ ?
- Palm M Datalogger MMCD $ Free
- ADL Datalogger Cable (www.ebay.com) $ 24.99

Total = $ 821.69

Exterior

- None

SUSPENSION, WHEELS &amp; BRAKES

- Stainless Steel Brake Lines part no. TN-E39ASSBL (www.tunersnation.com) $ 119.00
- Brake Pads Wearever Silver part no. MKD530 (Advance AutoParts) $ 18.99
- Whiteline Front Swaybar 24mm Non-Adjustable part no. BMF60X
(www.tunersnation.com)$253.92
- Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Rear Swaybar part no. BMR60Z (www.tunersnation.com) $ 187.00
- Cusco Strut Tower Bar OS, Front part no. 517 540 A (www.galantvr4.com) [member: RvlutionMtrsport] $ 180.00
- Cusco Strut Tower Bar OS, Rear part no. 517 541 A (www.galantvr4.com) [member: RvlutionMtrsport] $ 330.00

Total = $ 1,088.91
Grand Total = $ 4,943.58

*Grand Total omits Shipping &amp; Handling charges

mistaVR4

a lot.

mitsuturbo

Pot, you have all these mods, like an evo3 o2, and 7cm turbine housing, and you're still running the stock FMIC and Turbo?!

rexwagon1909

Well looks like I'm adding to my $$ total investment lol...while installing te new coliovers, all the old stainless steel brake hoses are shot, and every orginal never replaced bushings in the rear subframe is getting replaced, along with the shot original control bushings..Gonna buy the mustache and rear subframe bushings. I'm actually looking forward to pullin the rear subframe and rebuilding an repainting it. It's covered in dirt and surface rust. I just spent about 15hrs and completely cleaned all the dirt off all the fender wells, repaired some more rust from a "rust free car" lol, and now spray rubber coated them and the floor boards..Wish me luck!! Rear subframe here I come!

se7enine

I turn the other way when it comes to money I dump into my cars. Sure the wife gets suspicious when deliveries show up day after day of parts and stuff. I just reply " I got a good deal babe, it wasn't that much " Then I buy her something shiny and she forgets all about it. A happy wife is a happy life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

se7enine

When I first got married I was working in a warehouse and had my stuff shipped there, it was cheaper because it was a commercial address. Whenever I wanted to ship something I did it for free and could do air when needed. Plus they had a instant foam packaging machine for those heavy parts. We also had whiffle ball games when it was slow. I miss that job.

pot

Staff member
Quoting mitsuturbo:
Pot, you have all these mods, like an evo3 o2, and 7cm turbine housing, and you're still running the stock FMIC and Turbo?!

I know....I'm sorta like a woman when it comes to this car. I can never decide with finality what direction I want to take. A lot of the pieces were from 893 that I wanted to build but, I wound up selling her. My initial plan was to keep 182 completely stock but that went way of the Dodo bird as of last year.

For clarfication, I am still running the stock 14b. The 7cm turbine housing was a typo as I only have the 7cm SS gasket. In the near term I need to accomplish four things and my build should be complete for the next 3 - 5 yrs (I want to see 325hp/mid 12 sec and still complete my daily 100 mi commute):

- FP 68hta
- ETS FMIC or equivalent
- FPR/Injector/Pump
- DSMLink

slugsgomoo

Quoting turbowop:
I think resale value of my used wheels is higher than the value KBB puts on my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

It's a hobby, not an investment. I've never kept a running tally of the money spent on 1051 over the last 14 years, but add up the price of everything on it and it adds up quick. And that doesnt even include all the changes made throughout the years. Lots of memories, friends, and fun with these cars. Money well spent, IMO.

I only have 5zigens, so I'd have to say my turbo is worth more than my car... but honestly you're right. It's even more apparent when life throws you a ton of other things and the car sits on the back burner for years because you bit off a lot and need to be able to allocate funds & time to finish.

I've probably spent more money on fluids for my car than some people have spent on mods /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif but then again, I've had a lot of fun with the car.

Since I've taken the galant apart I've:

bought a house
met & married my wife
reroofed the house
refinished my hardwoods
had an SV650, Hayabusa & now a Speed Triple
Run about 40 concerts & 2 music festivals
Climbed a bunch of mountains (non technical climbs)
rebuilt a second galant & sold it
finished modding my 1g and sold it
fixed up a 1956 chevy and sold it

Actually working on the galant again, and it feels good. I wrestle with parting it out all the time (since I have a shitload of value in parts) but it's that one car that I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell unless I had to.

I've certainly met a lot of good friends through having the car, and hell, I've had the galant since 6/1/2005, which is the longest I've ever owned any single vehicle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

GSX_TC

Too much to sit down and think about lol

rdomeck

As funny as it sounds.....Not enough! I am ready to pull it down and put some better go faster parts in it! A little unhappy with a few things with it and I put it together last year when I was swamped with work at my business and I did it at home when most of my tools were at my shop. I think it's going into one of the corners of my shop and getting taken apart again......

jnava

Staff member
Quoting se7enine:
I turn the other way when it comes to money I dump into my cars. Sure the wife gets suspicious when deliveries show up day after day of parts and stuff. I just reply " I got a good deal babe, it wasn't that much " Then I buy her something shiny and she forgets all about it. A happy wife is a happy life /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That my friend, is the correct method of keeping the wife out of the equation. She gets hers, as you get yours. AMEN

alansupra94

Not terribly too much in my case. With the help of a tablet/phone and a craigslist app searching the whole country for parts that I need every 3hrs, I managed to find 95% of what I need for cheap and flip some parts here and there for a small profit to put towards more parts.

JNR

About 1/4 what I put in the chevelle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (but least that car's also worth 20X what I paid for it, lol)...

Mods, I've put maybe $1500 into this car; I bought the one I have because it was mostly all done, not hacked up, low mileage and excellent shape...It's clean and total sleeper, but been sidetracked so many times, it's been sitting the past few years...but did drive it about 15 k and was able to go anywhere...

Couldn't imagine putting more than maybe $3k into these things, if mine were stock. I mean, I like the car, but wouldn't want to be the PO putting in like $20k into this car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

transparentdsm

Quoting rexwagon1909:
^^ I'm right with you transparentdsm.... I dont think it's nessarily depressing, I know I can look at anything after I do it, and criticize myself for doing it. But hey we are not gambling or doing drugs with the money...My goals are quite outlandish but at the end of the day my car will make about 600whp, will be a complete sleeper, and no one around here will have what I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

this is exactly the way i feel. and because i stopped doing the gambling and drugs i do feel alot better about putting the money into this... ive had the car and driven it 10K miles since dumping all that money into it and i couldn't be happier with myself. and my goals are about the same as yours... 600ish reliable, not an everyday driver but like once or twice every two weeks and not a single person realize what the car is...

turbowop

Quoting JNR:

Couldn't imagine putting more than maybe $3k into these things, if mine were stock. I mean, I like the car, but wouldn't want to be the PO putting in like $20k into this car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

That's a set of coilovers, an intercooler, and an exhaust. I can't not see putting $3k into these cars. It's easy. But who cares? Once again, it's not an investment. I don't regret a single cent spent on 1051.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned