The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

DSG Time Attack VR4 build *Tons of Pics**

1gnasty

^^^^^ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bazeng

I see that HOTBITS worldwide dont have rear brake line mounts.
a couple of cable ties holds my lines in place.

Also, what are those red things on the canisters? I didn't have them on my hotbits.

Also remember not to use a rattle gun on the strut tops, and you'll have to torque them down with the cars weight on the shocks...

let us know how they compare to the tiens!

CP

These units have both compression and rebound adjustments, thus the red knobs.

Any idea what the torque spec is when installing them?

I'm sure they're going to ride 100x better than the Teins do around these parts. My current setup would be much better suited for southern roads, not these blasted salt caked, frost heaved New England thoroughfares.

Hey Cy, Take those Hotbits to antoher thread!! Dont highjack my ish /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Are you going to NHIS in a couple weeks with COM?

CP

Yeah, I'll be there the weekend after the 4th.

What are you running for tires right now? I'm thinking about making the jump to r-comps and spare wheels in August if I can afford it.

I'll be running the Hoosier R6's if its dry. The Azenis if its wet.

I really hope its dry.

CP

I'll be looking for some DOT-legal r-comps when I decide to take the plunge, maybe later this summer but most likely in time for next season. I've heard good things about the Nitto NT01 and V700 Victoracers. Basically I want track tires that are going to last the entire summer, don't require much if any shaving, and stay consistent throughout their life cycle, not falling off after a certain number of heat cycles and turning into rocks. Which tires did you consider before settling on the Hoosiers? Or were those picked up conveniently used and cheap?

I'm happy with my B.F.Goodrich R1s on the 944 Turbo. I ran 12 sessions at Road America and they are just starting to show wear. Felt as sticky as my old Hoosiers after that many heat cycles. Check out Tire Rack's website for an introduction test.

BFG R1 test

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Thanks Bob. After some forum reading and tire shop pricing, I think the Nitto NT01 is the tire I'm going to go with. The level of grip, "out of the box" driveability, breakaway characteristics, longevity, audible cues, and price are all in line with what I'm looking for. I'm currently looking at 235/40/17s, which seem to be priced in the $160 range. The R1 is MUCH more expensive than that.

skivittlerjimb

I think that tire's a great choice, Cy. Technically it's not an R-Compound, though, is it? IOW, it's not a Hoosier A6 or R6, BFG R1, Victoracer, V700, etc. It's more along the lines of an Azenis, Ventus RS2, Bridgestone RE01R, etc. There were a couple of folks at the COM Calabogie event with the Nitto's and they seemed to have very good things to say about them. Personally I love the RE01Rs in the 245/40R17 size so far, but regular price on them is $160 plus per tire.

-Jim B.
280/1000
1432/2000

I have another little update about my project GVR4. As promised way back in november and december I had decided to give the car a facelift. The multi-colored rainbow that was, is no longer.

I setup a make-shift paint booth in a warehouse that no one was renting by DSG. Its not exactly a cleanroom, but it did the trick.

DSC00135.jpg

DSC00136.jpg

DSC00137.jpg

After the booth was setup I worked on dissambely, sanding and taping the entire car. It is tedious job that I dont want to do again for a long time.

DSC00141.jpg

DSC00140.jpg

Once she was fully sanded and prepped I got to work with the rattle can primer and paint.

This is the final result.
DSC00168.jpg

DSC0166.jpg

DSC0167.jpg

If I were to do it again, I would have sanded between primer and paint. I was a bit anxious to get the white down. I am very pleased with the results though, it being all one color is a huge improvement.

Last edited by a moderator:

CP

Looks good Nick. I like the hood vents. Did you hit all the door jams too?

a2vr4

to bad it's not green anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif looks good though!
~Brian

steve

Are those actually air registers in your hood? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif looking great, man.

I would probably do the door/window trim when you get a chance to. Like so

Quote:
Looks good Nick. I like the hood vents. Did you hit all the door jams too?

I painted with the doors closed. So the door jams are still green. I dont really care though. I'd rather be driving the car than using all my time to make the paint look perfect. I need to start prepping the car for NHIS anyway.

Quote:
to bad it's not green anymore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif looks good though!
~Brian

I'm sorry. I know you must be partial to green. The green looks great on car with matching body panels. Mine was not one of those. And now it matches the rest of the DSG race cars. Im in the club!!

Quote:
Are those actually air registers in your hood? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Why yes. . . Yes they are. And they vent a ton of air, especially with the fan on. Best $10 Ive spent on the car so far.

Future plans include painting the door trims. But as I had mentioned before, the car was sitting in the warehouse for too long. I needed to finish the paint so I can begin to prep the car for the next event. If I were to repaint the car, like next season for instance, it will come out a lot better knowing what I know now.

TWEAKD4

That is the best rattle can paint job I have seen.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned