The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Here we go again...

DR1665

That the $1900 one with the brake issue? It's part of my research, that's for sure.

I'm not buying another one for a while. If I can get the back door pulled out of the front door (getting trapped in the car suuuuucks) and put the rest into 195, I'll be happy.

DR1665

The latest numbers...

60 GVR4s listed for sale since January 2010. Average listing price: $4275.83 (including outliers)
15 shells, rollers, parts cars listed since same. Average listing price: $983.83

Nationwide:
(Not breaking down by state, sorry.)
Average listing price: $4275.83
Outliers (high) = any GVR4 listed at 150%+ of average. 8 removed, range $6500-$11,000.
Outliers (low) = any GVR4 listed at 50% or less of average. 3 removed, range $1500-$1900

Average GVR4 nationwide listing price without outliers: $3798.96

For SW region:
Listed in CA-9, AZ-1, UT-1, NM-0, NV-0
11 total GVR4s listed in SW region since January 2010, average listing price: $4340.91
Outliers (high) = any GVR4 listed at 150% of average. 2 outliers removed, $7000 and $8000, respectively.
Outliers (low) = any GVR4 listed at less than 50% of average. 1 outlier removed, $1900.

Average GVR4 SW region listing price without outliers: $3856.25

As we learned last time 'round, the law provides for THE LESSER of REPAIR or REPLACEMENT (actual cash value). Given these figures, will I be able to replace my car if they total it out for $1000? Negative. So now the game shifts to proving that MY valuation data is more credible than the third party, caters-only-to-insurance-companies provider.

I'll be advising them we're not taking less than $4000 for repair/replacement/loss of potential value, missed time at work, personal injury, and everyone's favorite, pain and suffering. I don't care if they total the car for $1000, so long as they also cut me a $3000 check for the personal injury piece.

Stay tuned.

DR1665

So I got the call this morning from the "Total Loss Adjuster." She very nonchalantly explained that she would mail me a check for $800 or so just as soon as I faxed her a copy of the salvage title. I very politely explained that this figure was neither sufficient for my vehicle to repaired, nor was it sufficient for it to be replaced. I asked to be emailed the report they got detailing how they arrived at this figure.

Basically, they run their own carfax-type report and found that the vehicle had been involved in 3 prior accidents, at one point being issued a salvage title in California. News to me, but they docked the value because of "prior branded title, damage unseen." Then they called up a local Mitusbishi/Kia dealership and a Honda dealership and asked the sales managers there how much the car might sell for.

Mark Kia in Scottsdale (I believe the same guys who tried to back out on that Ebay Evo a few years back) said $1500.
Arrowhead Honda in Glendale said $1200.

And that's pretty much all they have to do to meet the requirements of the law - ask 2 local dealers what the cars might sell for.

They had ZERO - that is ABSOLUTELY ZERO - examples listed of actual Galant VR4s sold or even listed for sale anywhere in the country in this report.

Well then, if they can base their valuation on what 2 dealerships in the area *in their professional opinion* think a car might sell for, then I can base my demand for more than four times their insulting initial figure on MY professional opinion on what it would take to replace the vehicle.

I know I've dealt with this before, but I am shaking as I type this.

They have their local adjuster who has probably never even HEARD of the car before *estimating* the value.
They have local car dealership sales managers who stand only a marginally greater chance of having HEARD of the car before *estimate* the value.

Then they matter-of-factly prattle on and on about how they research over 3 million newly reported cars each month and how they can help you find a replacement vehicle.

Eat sh*t.
Die.

I see your 2 sales manager guesses and raise you 60 plus selling these cars for an average price of $4300.
I see your 2 irrelevant sources guessing what a car they've never even heard of before might sell for and raise you 3 examples of what I -personally- have bought and sold them for in the last four years.

I am so pissed right now. Call me names. Tell me I'm ugly. Talk sh*t on my f***ing mom, but don't tell me my car is only worth $1000 because that's all a couple clueless used car salesman tell you'd they'd give you for it.

I ain't buyin' it. Not for a second.

Here's the deal:
$3000 for repairs -or-
$4000 with a salvage title.

Don't want to play ball? I'm switching carriers and suing your insured. I'd love to settle this right now and have the funds to repair my vehicle today, but I have no problem whatsoever taking your insured to court and garnishing $100 off the top of his next 30 paychecks.

/storms off the internet to get some lunch (and maybe a beer or four)

Last edited:

Yeah that makes me angry and I'm not in your situation. No person in america can go out with 800 dollars and buy a comparable car out right and own it, no how not possible. My guess is they are banking on you taking 800 dollars and using it as a down payment for a newer vehicle to which you will then call them and open a new policy where they can continue to stick it in you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

They need to cough up at least 3800 bucks. At least. The car ran well, everything worked, I was in it, I know. Sounds to me like the dealership quoted that agent a wholesale price.

What company, they are about to lose a customer if I use them. Not that they really care.

This is why I absolutely hate insurance companies...or any large company that is too big to fail. They demand payment right now, put your cc on file, nevermind about the small print have a nic eday sir go away now, oh you've been in a collision that was not your fault, please go bother someone else we'll call you in a week with a ridiculous offer back burner say what. I'm so glad obama and the dems passed mandatory healthcare, if you think you are having fun with your automobile ins, you ain't seen nothing yet. Golden years here we come lets open our wallets and bend over. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Lets hope the procologists chose their profession based on passion.

[/rant]

DR1665

And I've just heard from the sixth adjuster at Allstate regarding 464/1000. There's some hope.

She said she's called up an independent appraiser in Scottsdale who is, in her words, "a gearhead who races cars out at PIR" (Phoenix International Raceway). He told her their estimate was definitely low, he's going to do some research, and get back to her. In the mean time, she wants me to fax over proof that the title on the car is clear (their report shows the car was salvaged) tomorrow and we'll go from there.

I mentioned that there have been less than six GVR4s sold in the Phoenix area in the last two years, only two of those were in running condition, I bought one of them and sold the other. When I reminded her that I have 60 samples since the first of the year broken down by state for the entire country, she said she would contact this appraiser guy - Mike - and see if he would like to see the information.

Keep your fingers crossed, fellas. Keep 'em crossed real tight.

Man. What I wouldn't give for one of those convenient letters like Terry's got...

fuel

I'm keeping both hands and feet crossed for you all the way from NZ mate.

cheekychimp

Me too man. But I have to say you seem to be going about this in an extremely mature and well thought out fashion. No-one enjoys going to court but you do at least get to question the insurance process with just about the best documented records available (i.e. right in front of the judge). If it does go that far, even if you have to go through some sort of disclosure to the other side, try not to have anything on record about the actual differences of the VR4 from say an LS. It will help your case considerably if you need to question the estimate given by the other side and the dealers and/or the person giving that evidence is unable to state what a VR4 is or show any knowledge of the differences between an LS and a GGSX for example.

Last edited:

curtis

Man tell them its now outside and you constantly have to tighten and fix the tarp on it because you don't want any water making it inside and damaging the carpets, leather seats, both that are no longer available. I did this after my roof got storm damage and they first tried to change the subject but ended up paying me 4 or 5 hundred for fighting a tarp daily for a month or so. This was after I said "damn its the rainy season, if my plaster ceiling gets damaged and you have to pay to replace that and put me up in a hotel for the time the house is getting repaired do some math honey". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm pleased to hear they are taking into consideration estimates from other individuals, they made a wise decision. Lets hope they return with more respect next time and stick to their end of the deal. You held yours by paying on time every month and driving responsibly. Remember, you would not be in this situation if vw chump wasn't playing twitter on his phone while driving.

DR1665

A quick update. I met with the appraiser guy. Turns out he races 3rd gen RX7s in some kind of national series. Legitimate gearhead.

He took some basic shots of the car, we talked shop. When the adjuster called him to get his input, she told him their initial offer of like $900, he pretty much told them they sh*t the bed on that one. He got a copy of my email and told me his valuation was well above what they offered. His preliminary research found half a dozen, with illegal mods (emissions removal), heavily modified, or broke down, wrecked, or rusted out for close to double the insurance company's figures.

He said his estimation of the value of a clean stock GVR4 wasn't quite what I had shown, but he wasn't done researching yet. I asked if he'd heard of this site and he gave me his email address with instructions to forward him all my research so he could use it in his final decision, hopefully by Monday.

I sent over links to this site, cars for sale section, members rides section, the Ryan Herts Gearbox interview, and my spreadsheet showing 60 examples listed for sale in the last six months.

I'm cautiously optimistic. Details to come.

Just imagine if I could have linked him to specific sold cars which showed the final selling price...

DR1665

Got the call this afternoon.

Allstate said she was worth $1039 and would give me $889 after salvage.
I said she was worth $3856, regionally, excluding outliers, and to get fucked.
At the end of the day, Allstate paid a professional to appraise her.

Final figures:
464/1000 appraised* at $3573
Salvage bid: $950
Damn straight I'm keepin' her: $2622

$2600 isn't enough to cover proper repairs (this is a bit beyond my abilities) and it isn't enough for me to scoop up yet another GVR4 that some no-business-behind-the-wheel assclown fuckup will only destroy in another two years.

I'm happy to see that a professional appraiser's valuation came to within 8% of the figures I came up with from browsing the cars for sale section here, instead of the lowball, bullshit guesstimates by a couple used car salesmen. That's a step in the right direction for our community.

Unfortunately, 464/1000 is going to get the branded title.

I'm probably going to use a hammer to "clearance" the rear quarter where it's interfering with the back door, causing alignment issues which would keep the car from passing the level III inspection required to get her back on the road legally.

Tentatively:
$622 is going towards a radiator, some gaskets, and DSMap for 195.
$1000 is going towards a couple weeks in Germany. I need a vacation.
$1000 is going to Kent. 195 needs a roll cage.

Of course, I'm a little numb and depressed right now, so this is subject to change.

Foster, Rodarte... INO. Let's find someplace that sells beer Thursday.

Here's to daily driven parts cars ready to give their lives in the service of the rally car back at the fort...

boostedinaz

^^^^

I like the Germany, Kent, and beer ideas. I'll buy your beer Thursday night.

DR1665

Thursday night it is, gents.

Kent's been advised.

I'll see if I can't have the rest of the interior out of 195 by next week. Then it's a matter of removing the front/rear glass and skinning the roof before it's cage time. Let's get ready to rumble.

ktmrider

Well, not the best but by far not the worst! Glad the drama is finally over.
BTW I am coming to PHX/Chandler from 6/28 thru 7/1 if there are any activities happening, ie beer drinking LOL.

boostedinaz

Quoting DR1665:

I'll see if I can't have the rest of the interior out of 195 by next week. Then it's a matter of removing the front/rear glass and skinning the roof before it's cage time. Let's get ready to rumble.

Excellent.

KTM feel free to PM any of us AZ people or just post up. We'll find something to do when you get here. Although it will be tough with 3 Mikes around. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned