The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear bumper fixable *UPDATE* 11/10/09

2of9

damn man, I just got into a small bumper bump. this is on the driver rear bumper side. I'm thinking about pounding it back to place because i was planning on repainting the car sometime next year already. Good thing the other driver and I agreed on not to call insurance because his car just had a small scratch and cracked the one piece of signal lense. I'm just hoping nothing in my rear frame is bent. The trunk doesn't look off, seems like the bumper it self was only damaged! damn it!

DSC05216.jpg

DSC05215.jpg

DSC05217.jpg

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Pull the bumper off and bend the metal supports back into place. That urethane will want to return to its original shape.

Looks like if you have any shifting of the rear quarter you could just pull it back into place... wear gloves, tug on it a bit.

I've seen bumper repair kits, I assume they're some kind of two-part filler, sand and paint.

2of9

^^thanks man. is there a guide to remove the rear bumper?

jepherz

Staff member
I don't think there is one. It's not too bad though. There are 4 main bolts to hold the actual support underneath the carpet. 1 bolt on each side going from the inside around where the reflectors are on the sides, and a few bolts on the outside around the fender well.

2of9

***UPDATED***

wow.
DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

Is there any way of pounding the bent part back so the bolt's inside the trunk will align correctly with the body? Well, I'm going to invest in a JDM rear bumper since I'm on my way to Thailand next year. So we'll see.

turbowop

Having a bolt through that hole isn't terribly necessary, and is often hard to line up even on a straight car anyway. If you can't get it, I wouldn't worry about it too much. At least everything that can be seen when the bumper is on the car is still straight, or at least looks that way in the pics.

You can either use a plunger to try and pull the dent some, or weld little rods/bolts to the sheetmetal to pull the dent with a slide hammer. Maybe try to push it back out from the inside, but there isn't a whole lot of room in there. Good thing it's hidden by the bumper.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned