The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GSX_TC's Galant VR4 Build Thread #550/2000 (Samara)

G

Staff member
Oh ok, I thought you special ordered them new. That's why I was asking about them being hub-centric. I wanted to see what bore size you ordered. If you had to use hub-centric rings then they are not. I'm not hating on your vr4, that's just my taste. Everyone has a different opinion on what looks good.

EHmotorsports

Quoting GSX_TC:
Started off as like Positive 1.4 pretty off, then we set it to negative 2.5 and it seemed to match the front but after driving it looks further in compared to the front. So I might have him set it to like 2.0 or 1.8 negative.

nice. If you ever want to do a track day around a road course hit me up for specs. I have a combo that seems to work for me. it might just work for you as well. Nothing special or secret about it. it just works.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting prove_it:
Sometimes after driving the suspension settles a bit and numbers change. Are you just street driving this? 2 degrees will chew up tires if just driving around, unless you need it to clear the fenders.

Agreed. You should probably stay around -1.5* for the street.

GSX_TC

Thanks for the tip guys, I'll try it out.

fuel

Quoting prove_it:
Sometimes after driving the suspension settles a bit and numbers change. Are you just street driving this? 2 degrees will chew up tires if just driving around, unless you need it to clear the fenders.

2 degrees will not chew up the tyres on it's own, incorrect toe in/out is more likely to chew tyres than a small amount of camber ever will. Many vehicles run up to -2 degrees camber right from the factory - the 7G/8G Galant/Legnum VR-4 is one of them.

My VR-4 is slightly lowered and has -1.8deg of camber in the rear and I certainly haven't chewed out any tyres.

GSTwithPSI

Doesn't really matter what the camber is sitting at now. If you plan on upgrading to those Brembo calipers, you'll be at -3.0* or more if you want those wheels to tuck with spacers. I still think you're going to have a hell of a time tucking 18x8.5s. You're definitely looking at a fender roll and skinny ass tires.

G also brings up a good point. I had to buy hub-centric rings for my Meisters. You should measure the center bore of yours and verify they are the correct size. I'd bet you probably need to get rings. That will absolutely be a problem, especially if you get extended studs and the weight of the car isn't resting on the center bore of the wheel.

The car sits pretty nice as-is. Keep it in the garage and you won't have to worry about tire wear /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

GSX_TC

I posted the spec sticker for the wheels. They say 114.3 bore.

turbowop

114.3 isn't the bore size, that's the bolt circle.

Those wheels look great. Like Brett says, good luck fitting the brakes you want though. It'll ruin it if you gotta space those wheels out, IMO. The fitment is pretty nice as is.

What's with the academy award type speech thanking everybody? You got an alignment and fit some wheels. Whoa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Jesus_Negros

This all wouldn't be possible without your lord and savior.

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:
114.3 isn't the bore size, that's the bolt circle.

Those wheels look great. Like Brett says, good luck fitting the brakes you want though. It'll ruin it if you gotta space those wheels out, IMO. The fitment is pretty nice as is.

What's with the academy award type speech thanking everybody? You got an alignment and fit some wheels. Whoa /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Just giving credit where credit is due is all Mark. Since a shop installed the Coilovers, and another shop gave me a great deal on the exact wheels I wanted, and to my friend alex for giving me his employee discount on the Bridgestone's.

Olson

Do you not know how to work on cars.. or is all you know how to do is pull out the card?

either way nice car?

strokin4dr

^Says the guy that just had another board member build his car for him. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Seriously, why all the hate lately?

CutlassJim

I'm also /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif at this.

I'll say personally there are VERY few people I would let work on my personal cars and I like to know how to do everything myself but I also understand that some people don't. At least if he's not comfortable with the task or just doesn't have the time he's at least spending the money to have it done properly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Jesus_Negros

I think he works 3 jobs too. All the work he gets done would take forever to DIY with 3 jobs.

GSTwithPSI

I'll say what I've always said about Mike and his build...

He may not be the most knowledgeable guy around, or have the cleanest, fastest, or nicest VR-4. But I've seen him make progress over the years, which is more than I can say for a lot of people here. Regardless of how it's getting there, his car is steadily improving over time. I think some of the people posting negative feedback here should start some build threads of their own, instead of throwing stones. Of course, I've always had a soft spot for Mike's clown ass, so I suppose I'm biased.

Mike, on the topic of the hub-centric rings, it sounds like you need to pull the wheels and do some measuring. If the center bore of the hub is not sized perfectly to the wheel's center bore, you're putting extra stress on the lug studs. Not to mention, the wheel will never sit perfectly center. The center bore for the hub is 67.1mm. You will probably need hub-centric rings to match the wheel center bore to that of the hub. For example, I needed hub-centric Rings with an OD of 73.1 mm and ID of 67.1 mm with my Work wheels. I'm assuming you're going to be in about the same situation. Pull the wheels, and measure the center bores.

Last edited:

turbowop

Or have somebody else pull the wheels, measure the center bores, and install hubcentric rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I kid, I kid. Don't call me a hater, haters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

MellowVR4

Yeah I think he does work mad jobs, I bet he has no type of time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

GSTwithPSI

Quoting turbowop:
Or have somebody else pull the wheels, measure the center bores, and install hubcentric rings. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

I kid, I kid. Don't call me a hater, haters. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Yo, least his homie will give him the bro price with that employee discount. You jelly?

GSX_TC

Quoting Olson:
Do you not know how to work on cars.. or is all you know how to do is pull out the card?

either way nice car?

Lol GTFO man. Quit talkin sh*t. Smh

GSX_TC

Quoting turbowop:

Lol shut up mark. I can do it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned