The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Good Clutch for high HP 600+

jeverts

Had an ACT 2100 in my gst back in the day.....half the fingers on the pressure plate broke off after about 5000 miles.

Last edited:

ghostinthevr4

Quoting jeverts:
Had an ACT 2100 in my gst back in the day.....half the fingers on the pressure plate broke off after about 5000 miles.

I had the same thing happen to me, I googled it and saw that it happened to some Dsm's. I contacted ACT about it and they sent me a brand new clutch kit free of charge. I had to take pictures and get an RMA number or something like that but they made it right for me.

They way they handled the situation wants me to do business with them again. At the same time Tim Zimmer's products get amazing reviews and a Magnus tripple is the cats meow.

If I'm not able to do the others guess what clutch company I'll go with. ACT because they valued me as a customer and made the problem right, oh yeah before there was 10 million different choices people were running record times with them.

Mike how do you like that ACT 3200? I heard the clutch pedal feel is actually lighter than the 2900 or does that just apply to the Evo 7-9 crowd?

turbowop

I used to love ACT. Went through a couple of them between '00-'04 with zero issues. Then around '05 I started having issues with springs popping loose on the disks...along with a lot of other people. I went through two disks with the same problem and then went to a twin. Then reverted back to a TMZ single because I couldn't stand the garbage driveability of the Quartermaster I had. No problems since.

diambo4life

I didn't notice any heavier effort. It just needed more room to disengage aka shim the ball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

prove_it

Ran my 2100 kit for 50k+miles. Held 300whp just fine. Started have slip issues on launch before the trans blew up. Bought the kit in 03 and used it solely for what seems ever. ACT did have a period of issues with the dsm kit. Springs popping, broken fingers, etc. Good company, hard to beat for price in a sub 400hp car. Once my trans is built I plan on using my 2600 pp with a stock oem Mitsu disc. Lots of good reviews on it.

My dream clutch is still the SB dual friction surface kit.

jeverts

Not to knock on ACT they do make a good product. Every company is going to have mishap its damn there impossible to be 100% perfect. The fingers just snapped right off. Might have been a bad batch of heat treat or something. Its nice to hear a company that is willing to make it right though. Says a alot.

FlyingEagle

Staff member
So, I keep seeing people talking about HP when they ask about clutches/pressure plate combinations, not withstanding the flywheel issue.

I brought this up in the transaxle thread more recently.

When you are on the phone with a transmission/transaxle or clutch builder/supplier, do they not talk to you in terms of torque capacities?? Products listed with torque capacity/maximumholding ability?

You guys know why I mention this.

We all know there will be some decent torque behind a higher horsepower motor but that doesn't add one Iota of truth to what the torque values are.

I put forward that torque capacity is what should be discussed, with HP being the icing on the cake.

jeverts

As I said before I fully trust tim. And yes he talked about torque and also another variable that most people forget about....the weight of the car.

Quoting FlyingEagle:
So, I keep seeing people talking about HP when they ask about clutches/pressure plate combinations, not withstanding the flywheel issue.

I brought this up in the transaxle thread more recently.

When you are on the phone with a transmission/transaxle or clutch builder/supplier, do they not talk to you in terms of torque capacities?? Products listed with torque capacity/maximumholding ability?

You guys know why I mention this.

We all know there will be some decent torque behind a higher horsepower motor but that doesn't add one Iota of truth to what the torque values are.

I put forward that torque capacity is what should be discussed, with HP being the icing on the cake.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Another significant variable is what ratio you'er running for first gear.

... the gvr4 first gear is noticeablly taller than the dsm on the same final drive ratio.

Add in wheel / tire combo's (and launch rpm ) and you can really change the loading / time in the slip

Not running "enough" clutch results in kitty hair in the bellhousing, running "too much" equals more broken driveline parts.

When you come down to it, you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Finding a saavy cat and laying out how you use your car will generally result in a positive experience.

... especially when you talk to someone like Mr. Zimmer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

FlyingEagle

Staff member
^ This.

Don't worry, nobody is hassling the guys on the other end of the phone.

Just making sure we get the correct perspective.

Lots of people read this, so this helps those people in ways we never really know about.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned