The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

What Clutch setup?

I've had 2 ACT2600's for street and autocross with lots of 6000 RPM launches and no problems, but others have had problems. I would get one againg but I guess it's a matter of how lucky you feel.
Mike R.

Quote:
What clutch setup do you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that will grab good, but it is mainly just a street car. If I take it to the track, it won't be any more than 2 times a year. Is the ACT 2600 the best clutch to go with? What is a cheap place for a clutch?

Thanks, Andrew.

2600 is fine. I made over 500whp and 435tq on a 2600 with a pressure plate that is on its 2nd reuse.

^^^^^^^ I'm glad that you've had good luck with our clutches in the past and scincerly hope that our quality control standards are not a hit and miss proposition as some would have you believe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

mitsu90

I am running a spec stage 2+ and I am loving it.

normal_clutch%20001.jpg

normal_clutch%20002.jpg

Hmm, that's funny beacuse my ACT 2600 pp and street disc looked like poo after 300 miles of 'light use' street driving and 1 race where I launched from 5500rpm. The springs felt like they were about to fall out, and there's a wall of ACT products at the shop that the springs already fell out of. Yes, TONS of people have made big #'s, gone fast, and experienced good reliability from an ACT clutch. But, the opposite is true as well and there are better clutches out there.

^^^^^^^^ I guess it's ironic that one of "those better clutches" happens to be one that you sell on here? Parts do fail,either from installation error,driver abuse,and yes at times manufacturer error.

boostx

hey mitsu90 how does that pedal feel , is it softer than s act 2900

Quote:
^^^^^^^^ I guess it's ironic that one of "those better clutches" happens to be one that you sell on here? Parts do fail,either from installation error,driver abuse,and yes at times manufacturer error.

I sold both. Now I only sell ClutchNet. So no, it's not ironic.

Thanks for all the responses guys, keep them coming. My friend has a SBR clutch setup that is brand new. When we put it in his car it was making a very loud noise. SBR said it just had to be broken in. But we took it out and put in the stock clutch to make sure it wasn't his TRE tranny. It was the clutch. He said I could have it for free if I wanted. Do you think that what SBR said about it having to be broken in? It wasn't normal clutch chatter. It was very loud.

Sounds like they were blowing smoke up your.... Yea, clutches shouldn't come with a free side of clunkink.

Gordian79

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses guys, keep them coming. My friend has a SBR clutch setup that is brand new. When we put it in his car it was making a very loud noise. SBR said it just had to be broken in. But we took it out and put in the stock clutch to make sure it wasn't his TRE tranny. It was the clutch. He said I could have it for free if I wanted. Do you think that what SBR said about it having to be broken in? It wasn't normal clutch chatter. It was very loud.

doesnt sbr say their clutches dont need break in?I dont know about you guys but my experiences with act clutches hasnt been good.my car has an act 2100 and when im on the stutter box car rolls forward.I had one in my corolla and the same thing i lost a bracket race once because i forgot to engage line lock prior to staging and car rooled through the beams.

Is there a specific brand of clutch that DOESN'T throw springs? On my 2GNT I had a Spec 6 puck ceramic and it threw a spring after 5k miles. I got a Clutchmasters 4 puck ceramic and that threw a spring after about 15k miles. I now have an UNSPRUNG South Bend clutch that I have yet to install... How much difference is there between sprung and unsprung? Is it night and day? Is it worth taking the risk of buying a sprung clutch for my VR4?

ClutchNet has a patented design on their discs and they DON'T throw springs. Just look at how well they're enclosed, then look at others. The guys that I know that are running these are very hard on their cars. I have not seen one break yet.

How much difference is there between sprung and unsprung? Is it night and day? Is it worth taking the risk of buying a sprung clutch for my VR4?

The difference is that with a sprung clutch, some of the energy from the clutch drop is absorbed by the springs and not your drive-train. It is NOT worth it to run an UNSPRUNG on your GVR4... not if it destroyes your transmission and drive-train. And you should stay away from puck clutches with the AWD.

3X Red pressure plate with a kevlar/kevlar disc. That setup is $480. If you use a standard street disc it's $410. The kevlar disc will stand up to more power/heat and last longer, worth the extra $70.
*Note* I have the 3X red pressure plates custom made for our application. They don't list it for our cars on their website.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quote:
ClutchNet has a patented design on their discs and they DON'T throw springs. Just look at how well they're enclosed, then look at others. The guys that I know that are running these are very hard on their cars. I have not seen one break yet.

Thanks for the reply... I've never seen a clutch like that before!

SleepinGVR4

Do u have to buy one of their flywheels too then? And is that price what u could get me or a member of this board? Hows the pedal feel compared to a 2600?

I had a Centerforce DF for years with a JUN flywheel and liked it. It was plenty and I really appreciated the low pedal effort when I was stuck in traffic. Just make sure you follow the break in procedure and you should be fine. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Nate was using one years ago when he broke into the 11's.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned