The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

FF Oil Filter Housing Clearance

BoostedAWD91

I know alot of people run them and some galant guys are running them as well. I bought one cause i was in a hurry to get my car running again for E-town. I knew it would be tighter in the galant than in 1G's but i didnt know it was gonna be so tight to where i can't get the oil filter off. Luckily i put the oil filter on before i put the housing on but how is everyone else running these? As u can see there is just no room. I don't wanna have to remove a bunch of stuff everytime i wanna change my oil.

Last edited:

Muskrat

Is it contacting due to engine vibration/movement? Stiffer motor mounts might help.

If it's just an issue of removing it, you can unbolt that sub frame brace. I usually do it anyway just to avoid spilling oil all over it.

Hmm yours sure looks tighter than mine.
I can get the filter on and off. (pretty sure I have the same filter)
Will take pics when I get home.

belize1334

You could use an oil-filter relocation and incorporate an oil cooler while you're at it.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting Muskrat:
Is it contacting due to engine vibration/movement? Stiffer motor mounts might help.

If it's just an issue of removing it, you can unbolt that sub frame brace. I usually do it anyway just to avoid spilling oil all over it.

no its not contacting i dont believe when its running, its just that i dont wanna have to remove the subframe piece everytime i change my oil cause that will eventually strip those holes out taking it on and off that many times. Im just gonna have to switch to a different housing or relocate it.

BoostedAWD91

Quoting belize1334:
You could use an oil-filter relocation and incorporate an oil cooler while you're at it.

Anyone done this? any install pictures?

Gimpin

like mentioned above the 3000gt vr4 filter (same as honda s2000 odly enough) will work but it has been known to increase oil pressure too

BoostedAWD91

Is there adapter plates made to put on the stock or FF filter housings to run -an lines to the new filter location?

rgeier11

Why? Go buy an OEM 3000GT VR-4 filter. If it is good enough to filter a 3.0L Twin Turbo engine, it should be able to filter the oil for our cars.

GVR4ZUM

Chris, just jack up the engine a bit, just make sure you put a block of wood or cloth so you don't dent the oil pan.

BoostedAWD91

yeah i neve really thought about that. Ill have to try jacking the engine up and see if that gives me enough room to pull it off.

belize1334

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
Is there adapter plates made to put on the stock or FF filter housings to run -an lines to the new filter location?

Something like this would probably do it. You'd have to check the specs to make sure that it is compatible or at least adaptable.

I have one for sale with two Aeroquip fittings on it for cheap. Let me know if you want it, but im posting it up in the for sale section.

click

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts