The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

90 oil filter housing questions

presterone

I've been doing some reading and I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into here. Im going to but a 90 oil filter housing with an external oil cooler setup for my 92, I am no longer running coolant lines to my turbo, is there any other moodifications I will have to do to make this work or is it just a bolt up affair.

Lucas03ES

It should bolt right in. I went to install one on the old motor that was in my car, and it was a 7-bolt and it didnt fit. Just a piece of advice if your car had gone through what mine has haha. You could just put bolts in the cooler holes, or run a cooler. I used steel braided lines and a B&M on my car. You have to pull the timing cover slightly as well.

Adorsey

If you have your balance shafts eliminated, I would port the pressure relief valve outlet on the back of housing before the install. This helps with excessive oil pressure at high or moderate rpm levels. If you have a BSE done.

presterone

I still have my balance shafts, is there an increase in oil psi with this setup? or iss it only if you install a BSE that there is a PSI increase?

Quoting Adorsey:
If you have your balance shafts eliminated, I would port the pressure relief valve outlet on the back of housing before the install. This helps with excessive oil pressure at high or moderate rpm levels. If you have a BSE done.

not trying to threadjack but I am doing my BSE right now. got a writeup on this? thanks!

presterone

vfaq.com has a nice writeup it looks like all the parts are available at mitsu dealers for under fifty bucks

I meant porting the housing, I already have all the 1.6 stuff from the stock motor in my car, in fact I am using the entire front case. I just want to know what part of the housing I am supposed to port, even using the stock 1.6 OFH. I am off to google but hoping you have a favorite writeup. Thanks again

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned