The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

evo3 16g = big 16g?

CP

Thanks Jeff. I'm not too concerned with top end power, so EVO3 it will be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

GVR-4

This is unrelated to the original subject of this thread, but whatever...

Compressor wheels are not made of inconel (high grade stainless steel); turbine wheels are. Comp wheels are either aluminum or in some cases titanium.

Garrett produced the VNT's in the Shelby's and they sucked. Materials are better now and VNT's (Garrett) and VTG's (BorgWarner) have been used in diesels for a while and are beginning to be used in gasoline engines (which have higher EGT's than diesel). The new 911 turbo has two BorgWarner VTG's.

VNT= Variable Nozzle Turbine
VTG= Variable Turbine Goemetry

turboren

Sort of OT, but what other cars came with non-EVO3 big 16g's? For instance, would an EVO II have come stock with a big 16g?

Common consensus is that the Evo VR4 and Evo 1 came with a small 16g, the Evo 2 came with either a small or big (manufacture date dependent), and the Evo 3 came with the 'lightweight' big 16g.

However, my old turbo came out of an Evo 1, but was definitely a big 16g. Now you could say that "someone replaced it previously", which is exactly what I thought. Turned out though, that the housing stamp ended in 01450, which exactly correlates to an Evo 1 turbo. This got me intrigued, so I started researching. It turns out that that Mitsubishi didn't start manufacturing the 'small 16g' until 1993/94. Apparently it was first developed for Subaru by Mitsubishi for use in the (then) new Impreza.

What this means is that all the VR4 Evo's and Evo 1's must have been fitted standard with a big 16g. It's possible that the small did make it onto some Evo 2's, though.

Problem is, I can't find the damn article which gave me this information /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. I'll try and find it again. In the meantime, this thread pretty much backs up the theory as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

I bought a low mileage VR4 RS engine from an importer several years ago. Seemed to have original clutch disk even. It appeared to be unmolested in the turbo section too. It came with a big 16G.

Last edited:

turboren

Thanks for the info.

Ren

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned