The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Black Friday Shopping List: Need Help

desant78

So black friday is coming, and ExtremePSI is having midnight online sales.

I need a new clutch, so it's time to upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but don't want to go over board on the clutch. I will be running an EVO3 16g (MHI) and 680cc injectors. Along with all the proper mods, I want to buy an ACT 2100. Is this clutch enough to handle the 16g? I don't want to have to change clutches down the road if I decided to push the turbo. The other option is a ACT 2600, which will def handle the 16g. it's not about money, but drivability. If I can get away with the lighter clutch, I'd really like too.

Second, a head gasket will be on sale, Cometic MLS (Multi Layer Steel) Head Gasket (1.3mm). Is this a good head gasket for our cars?

Third, Topline Revised Lifters. I am assuming these are like 3g lifters, since they supposedly get rid of that stock "tick". Do they work well?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

I hated the 2600. I got the SBC TZ/FE combo. I love it. It's very light on the foot and can definitely handle anything the 16g can throw at it.
click

alansupra94

Quoting desant78:
So black friday is coming, and ExtremePSI is having midnight online sales.

I need a new clutch, so it's time to upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif but don't want to go over board on the clutch. I will be running an EVO3 16g (MHI) and 680cc injectors. Along with all the proper mods, I want to buy an ACT 2100. Is this clutch enough to handle the 16g? I don't want to have to change clutches down the road if I decided to push the turbo. The other option is a ACT 2600, which will def handle the 16g. it's not about money, but drivability. If I can get away with the lighter clutch, I'd really like too.

Second, a head gasket will be on sale, Cometic MLS (Multi Layer Steel) Head Gasket (1.3mm). Is this a good head gasket for our cars?

Third, Topline Revised Lifters. I am assuming these are like 3g lifters, since they supposedly get rid of that stock "tick". Do they work well?

Thanks in advance for the help

I personally have an act 2600 and love it. Clutch pedal is a bit hard but I don't mind since it holds everything. All depends if you can handle the pedal

if you get a MLS headgasket you must make sure both block and head sides are perfectly flat or it will leak.

Last edited:

Galantvr4559

I have no experience with act but I have a stg.4 xtd clutch 6 puck unsprung and it is very streetable. I love it. I can launch at 5700 rpm and it grabs like a switch. The revised lifters are what you want to get rid of liftertick.

desant78

So in reference to alansupra, is there a more forgiving head gasket? I only want to replace my head gasket since I have no clue when it was last done. I am trying to avoid any machining work for now. Any advice? OEM over cometic?

omertaitalia

i have a act 2900 with a 16g and its streetable, had a xtd stage4(egay) that lasted couple thousand miles then started slipping hard.

vtecds1

I`m running a ACT 2600 and it almost feels like a stock clutch. I also have a Cometic HP and has a slight leak. More than likely my fault because I didn't know about the block needing a mirror finish.

alansupra94

Yeah you essentially need a mirror finish.

OP I would just stick with a OEM headgasket and copper sealant. I don't see you needing it sub-30psi.

mountaineerjeff

correct me if im wrong, but the 2900 is lighter on the pedal, despite its higher clamping force.

desant78

Quoting alansupra94:
Yeah you essentially need a mirror finish.

OP I would just stick with a OEM headgasket and copper sealant. I don't see you needing it sub-30psi.

^info I'm looking for, thanks! and the ACT 2900...i'm not gonna have that much power that i'll need to go up to 2900.

thanks for all the feedback guys!

mountaineerjeff

well the clutch is just a brake. and its like saying im never gonna need that much braking. if it has as much performance as the 2600, with a lighter pedal, it only makes sense. when I was doing my first clutch I got stuck on a 2600, and scared away from the bigger stuff, by everyone complaining about drive-ability. and now after having some experience with it, I would go as big as $ allows. the maxx, is only $10 more.

turbowop

So your headgasket is fine, but you wanna change it out only because you don't know when it was last done? It isn't like an old oil seal. If it ain't broke...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned