The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

dyno tuning with 1051

Tre3zy

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif NICE NUMBERS DUDE

cheekychimp

Mark,

I know that you only had the MAFT Pro before with the Keydiver Chip that offered some timing control, so I can see how installing ECMLink opened up a wealth of tuning options, but assuming someone already had a DSMLink setup installed and running well with a good tune would it be worth running a MAFT Pro just to get Speed Density. Did It work well for that purpose, despite lacking other tuning options which DSMLink would offer.

And let's assume these parts are lying apart rather than pricing up the cost of a V3 upgrade against the cost of a new MAFT Pro.

Paul.

Brianawd

Quote:
would it be worth running a MAFT Pro just to get Speed Density.

You get Speed density with DSMlink V3. No reason to run Crap pro.

turbowop

Paul, I would just use ECMlink. Piggy-backing one system onto another isn't fun. That's the whole reason I went to link. I'm not gonna talk down on Maftpro too much because when I purchased it, it was the best way to run SD without going full standalone and it worked pretty well. I'm not even sure I gained power over it with link, but now I have better support, tuning options, and driveability.

4thStroke

It sure doesn't hold a candle to the HX40s seeing 35psi by 3500 RPM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hsugh.gif

Last edited:

LIV4PSI

I wish there were more builds like this, where the goal is just a really fun street car. Nice graph, and definitely a nice gain in power!

GreenGSX

We used to run a hobbs switch to activate the water/meth injection in the One Lap VR4 but once we got ECMlink we started using it to turn on/off the meth based on load. Works great and eliminates some of the wiring. From my memory we were a tick under 370whp at 25psi and 401whp at 28-29psi on a Mustang dyno. A good intake manifold can really wake up the FP3052 up top.

slugsgomoo

Mark, when I was doing testing I found that the fan switch in the bottom of the radiator must be set to come on somewhere above 190, but I didn't have a probe for that so it's mostly a guess. I can tell you that when the radiator hasn't fully heated, since the water is returned to the radiator at the top it takes quite a while for the bottom to get warm. I think I was seeing ~205-210 (via the waterneck as reported in the ECU) before it would initially kick the fan on. I think a switch that would turn it on ~180 would be good with a smaller fan, simply so that the thermal mass doesn't get away from the fan's capacity.

turbofonz

How much timing up top?

Interesting, I've been up to 33lb's on a 30r on straight pumpgas so far.

turbowop

I think timing up top is 20 degrees. Maybe 21. I have the car down while doing some rewiring to clean up what I had to fix on the dyno for the meth setup to work correctly and I've been busy with other stuffs since I got home.

33psi on straight pump? Like 92 octane? I realize that may be possible, but my setup definitely won't allow it.

slugsgomoo

I always forget how much timing a stock CR 4g can take, especially on meth injection /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I think that with straight 92 on my 9:1 motor I couldn't push past 13* at peak torque with decent boost, and cutting boost for timing didn't help. I'd wonder if you'd experience the same thing, but I'm guessing you and Lucas probably went over that since he has tons of knowledge about optimizing meth setups.

33 on straight 92 seems like an awful lot to me with a 30r... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Brianawd

I was able to do 15degs peak torque on pump with the motor you have now slugs. 24psi and 17degs peak timing. Car pulled good. But feels way better on e85.

Brianawd

On my E85 Tune I was at 21degs peak timing with 17degs at peak torque, spiking 32psi holding 30psi.

GreenGSX

For reference, I generally shoot for 15 degrees of timing at peak torque. If I can get there great, if not who cares. Its just a number. What matters is the area under the curve and how it drives. For the One Lap VR4 we were at 14 degrees of timing at peak torque and climbing to 17-18 up top. That's on a 9-1 motor, FP3052, 264/272, my intake, etc..etc. That made 401whp on a mustang dyno with 50/50 water/meth at 28psi. I will say that on a road race car it is really important to have timing up top to help keep the car cool. Running big boost with no timing is just asking for it to overheat. On a street car its not as important.

turbowop

Quoting Brianawd:
On my E85 Tune I was at 21degs peak timing with 17degs at peak torque, spiking 32psi holding 30psi.

That's awesome timing on 9:1. It really shows that E85 can make amazing power when tuned for it. Knowing how much power Brian made on this turbo, I had higher expectations. Seeing others' numbers makes me feel better about mine. It's too bad E85 stations aren't more plentiful in my area.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned