The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivable Galant VR4s

CutlassJim

I appreciate your responses, I figured it our I was off on timing on the bottom end. Now I'm pulling fuel with ecm link at idle. Man evoscan is so much cleaner lol.

Regardless she idles, she revs she will drive. Kelfords are amazing she lumps real good at idle. Jdm bumpers on arrival. So to keep this thread legit she will be driving in 2 weeks. PNW if anyone wants to cruise.

I was about to say, zero vacuum sounds like timing off and to check the bottom pulley. Glad you got it figured out.

ihugzombies

314 is hanging in there but running

Have a bubble in one of the tires and a slightly dented rim from a LA pothole and I haven't had any money to get new tires or fix it so it's been relegated to light around town errands and moving for street sweeping. Also runs a little too rich for my liking but I have a whole bunch of upgrades that I haven't gotten around to putting in since I don't want to mess up a decently running car with my luck :ROFLMAO:

gvr4300gt.jpg

BpuVR4

Man I've been a lurker here for a little while now, the response in this thread is a bit surprising. Thought there'd be more daily driven ones. Is it more because you guys don't want to ruin the cars or because the cars won't cooperate?

gvr4ever

Man I've been a lurker here for a little while now, the response in this thread is a bit surprising. Thought there'd be more daily driven ones. Is it more because you guys don't want to ruin the cars or because the cars won't cooperate?
For me, my car is just for joy rides anymore. I haven't left town in a long time. I haven't driven in the snow in probably 10+ years. Part of it is to preserve the car, but I also have a newer car that is a much better daily. The cars are getting old enough, it probably takes a good refurb on a lot to make it really reliable. I also don't like driving on the interstate. Speed limits are 70 now, and the 5th gearing was for 55MPH limits. It's enjoyable on state highways where the limit is still 55.

diambo4life

Guys...we will not take these cars to the grave. DRIVE. THEM. When you still can......I wish I could drive my Galant everyday. I will make it a point to put a full exhaust on it next year. It's the only reason I don't drive it at all.

ggsxkid

Guys...we will not take these cars to the grave. DRIVE. THEM. When you still can......I wish I could drive my Galant everyday. I will make it a point to put a full exhaust on it next year. It's the only reason I don't drive it at all.
My laziness is part of the reason why I don't drive it so much. Im pretty sure I've got a junk axle on the stock 3 bolt. I have a 4 bolt that needs to be refreshed and go in. But I also will be doing a 4ws delete and the original front rack leaks. So it's a combination of all the work involved to swap all that out/in that's holding me back. Like I said laziness haha.

turbomister2

This is how I feel , if I could get the heat to work a little better I’ll be looking forward to the snow

gvr4ever

This is how I feel , if I could get the heat to work a little better I’ll be looking forward to the snow
Till the rust hits. I suspect the wet brine is better than just dumping gobs of dry salt, but salt is salt and these are older cars. I used to love and play in the snow with snow tires, but age has just caught up. I still have minimal rust, but it's an issue, and I'm not going to advance it by driving on salt covered roads. Around me, they stopped using sand. Kinda sad. Only salt brine now. Maybe it depends on where you live and what is used.

turbomister2

Till the rust hits. I suspect the wet brine is better than just dumping gobs of dry salt, but salt is salt and these are older cars. I used to love and play in the snow with snow tires, but age has just caught up. I still have minimal rust, but it's an issue, and I'm not going to advance it by driving on salt covered roads. Around me, they stopped using sand. Kinda sad. Only salt brine now. Maybe it depends on where you live and what is used.
Yeah most likely the car will end up parked when they start throwing salt as long as everything falls into place

Imback

My old galant had a side exit exhaust and i still drove it a good amount. With my current one full exhaust with a good muffler and will be adding a resonator soon. Been driving it everyday.

gvr4ever

Mine was down for 2+ weeks cause FIC injector seals rotted and failed and I had a boost leak between the injector and intake manifold. I don't think they were old enough to fail like that, but she's running great again.

BpuVR4

I daily drove my last 3. None were in top condition but I was never afraid to drive any of them anywhere in the country at any time. 957 I was commuting through downtown Chicago nearly daily without a worry. Part of me wants to do it again, but the rust factor is keeping me from it. I'm also not in a place to have 2 cars right now unfortunately.

doncoba

I recently bought number 470 it runs I just want to do the e85 conversion and get it tuned. It's tuned on pump gas at the moment. I'm hoping to get a response back from this member to see if he can help with the tuning aspect.
My old galant had a side exit exhaust and i still drove it a good amount. With my current one full exhaust with a good muffler and will be adding a resonator soon. Been driving it everyday.

KJL

For me it's a combination of reasons I don't drive 1788 as often as it should be driven. I do want to persevere the car, so I won't take it out when there is salt on the roads, in NH that means about 5 months out of the year it's parked. Then it's just a lack of time and interest. The longer a car sits the less confidence you'll have in it, motion is lotion.

gvr4ever

For me it's a combination of reasons I don't drive 1788 as often as it should be driven. I do want to persevere the car, so I won't take it out when there is salt on the roads, in NH that means about 5 months out of the year it's parked. Then it's just a lack of time and interest. The longer a car sits the less confidence you'll have in it, motion is lotion.
I get the less confidence the longer the car sits, but at the same time, if you let it sit too long, the brakes will freeze up and it will need refreshes. We have a week of near or at 50 degree temp days and I swapped my new car for the Galant in storage. Been driving it and it's great. I started off turning the greedy b controller off (runs about 7psi), drove it for 15+ min before I even tried to get into boost. Drove it everywhere yesterday, ended up running 11psi and pushing it a little. After a day of driving, the engine and transmission are still fantastic. I'm going to run the psi low til I put in some fresh 93 before hitting full boost, but the car does like to be driven for sure. Don't let them sit too long.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned