The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

458/1000 rehab - now jdm pretty

trunks

Thanks guys. There is a little bit of orange peel in the paint in some spots that I've started wet sanding. I did get a pretty good run in the passenger door that I tried to fix but you can still see it in the right light. I'm just going to leave it for now until it pisses me off and buy a new door and spray it some day.

trunks

I've been working hard on the car pretty much all free time that I get. I think the '93 head lights look pretty nice on there and I'm excited about the HID lights for the dark country roads I drive on. I installed the wideband in the driver's compartment since I'm not a big fan of A pillar pods and don't want to get extra attention in this car.

Welding the exhaust went better than expected. I used the old one as a template and it fit the first time and clears the driveshaft much to my shock. It's missing a couple of hangers in the front so that's why it's not straigt in the pics. It will shoot out a little to the right but I think it actually looks kind of cool that way. My amatuer welds aren't so pretty but should do the job.

Grandma is taking the kids after July 4th for a whole week so I'm hoping to get it on the road in 2 weeks.

JSchleim18

Very nice indeed. If you need some OEM rubber hangers let me know. I have some in great condition that I won't be using.

trunks

I wet sanded and buffed it this week. The orange peel came out pretty good but I had a heck of a time with polishing the swirls out. I paid a lot for 3m products and still couldn't get them out. I'll probably just take it somewhere to get detailed eventually. I also bought brand new chrome strips for the entire car that look great.

My turbo finally showed up so I took it to the shop for ceramic coating along with the evo III manifold and O2 housing. I bought a high amp alternator so I want to keep the heat off of it. I also purchased a forge motorsport bov.

The interior is pretty much ready. I just need to bolt on the turbo stuff, finish up my exhaust, install the catch cans and vacuum lines, get all the exterior molding back on and hopefully I'll be driving.

jepherz

Staff member
Man, there are SO many vr4s in MN now that I'm gone...

What are you using to do the polishing? Which pad? Which polishes?

trunks

I shelled out money for all 3m products - the extra cut compounding and extra fine polish along with the foam pads that they sell for astronomical prices. Guess I use Meguires or something next time..

jepherz

Staff member
What part numbers? I think you're probably using the wrong stuff. It's quite possible you aren't using a crucial polish in between and the polish can't cut out the scratches made by the rough cut.

trunks

I'm still checking in to the polish..

Was just about to get some lovin tonight when the thunderstorm hit and 2 year old started screaming. So I thought I'd update my thread. It's back on all fours again and pretty much done. I'm not getting any spark or very little but I think it's the cas since I tried firing up the car with it loose and a bit sideways on the head. Now the propeller is wobbley which I don't think it's supposed to be. So, I'm just going to have to wait a little longer to drive it until the part gets here.

On a side note, I'm thrilled with my Pioneer DEH P7200HD head unit and two Kicker 6 1/2" subs in the trunk. Eric had put Boston Accoustic speakers throughout before I bought it and I must say it sounds great.

Last edited:

trunks

Well, I've been trying to get the bitch to run for about 3 weeks now and no luck. It's got fuel, spark, and compression but will not start. Once in a while if I floor it she'll go but run rich and rough. Going to call the shop tomorrow and trailer the damn thing down there.

trunks

It looks like the engine I bought from darkside on here has rings that won't seat. Shop said leakdown was terrible past the rings. I'm only getting 100 or so compression on all four after it's ran through a few heat cyles. I reved it today for 15 minutes at 4000 rpmss hoping they would but still no go. There's also oil pouring out from somewhere on the rear side. I spent last weekend pulling the tranny to replace the rear main but that wasn't it.

So I've worked a deal with a local dsm guy for a new block and he's going to help me with the swap. I even bought a new head to make sure there's no issues this time. Hopefully next weekend we'll get it in and running.

trunks

New engine is now in. I had a local dsmer come and help me put it together with a totally revamped block. I also bought a new head since I'm tired of screwing around. It runs good but of course I need a new isc, temp switch and my drivers axel is clicking like crazy. Getting it all tomorrow and hopefully I'll be on my way.

trunks

458/1000 is finally back on the road. The new engine is running good. I've never even ridden in a galant vr4 before so I'm really happy with it. The whiteline springs and sway bars with the gr2 shocks corner nicely but still retains a decent ride for daily driving to work and daycare.

The kids seem to like it too. My 2 1/2 year old hears the engine rev and says: ready, set, go!!

I'm falling in love with the car. Sure is fun to drive. I may tint the windows yet and the paint needs some touch up so it'll be an ongoing process just like my dsm.

trunks

7 more inches of snow here. I was blowing out the driveway and noticed my vr-4 badge showing through and throught it looked kinda cool.

My boss said I should have driven my truck today. I told him it's awd with brand new snow tires. I then grinned as I ripped out of the parking lot no sweat.

trunks

Got the car straightened and professionally painted oem grace silver
along with jdm parts added:

I bought some some eyelids off ebay too and these step guards.

img.php

img.php

I know I may get flamed for the light covers but I don't think they look too ricey. Especially with the jdm look that you seen them on. I'm hoping for opinions on if I should paint them the body color though or black?

Last edited:

jnava

Staff member
You've gone this far with the paint job, keep it clean and get them to match too. IMHO

Dasith

i remember those bumpers and foglights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

looks good mate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

prove_it

Do it! I think the lids look awesome color matched to the car. Post up pics of the Ralliart plates installed. I saw them and got a little curious.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned