The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

1720 almost done... Help me make sure I have everything...

So i've got a list of things to do:

Install water lines to turbo
Install 02 housing along with new sensor
Find and install upper radiator mounts with new poly sway bar bushings
Mount Transmission cooler used as an oil cooler
Fab up FMIC
Finish timing belt with the tensioner thats supposedly in the mail
Install mirage spacer behind crank pulley
Window weld the other three motor mounts
Install new ball joints and tie rods
Install windshield
Install hood
Install tcase and source driveshaft and install

Thats all I can think of for now...

RACER-X

if you still need an exhasut mani.. let me know. I have a 1g (read your trying to save cash just to get it on the road) so I know 1gs are not saught after but If I still have it.. you pay for shipping and I'll sent it to you..... thats right no charge for the manifold.

I may take you up on that... Give me a few weeks to collect funds, i'm kind of broke right now. Just makin it by.

Finally got my tensioner and crank spacer.

I only need the oil lines to really make her run, a driveshaft to make her drive and I think the rest is cosmetic. I'm sure i'm forgetting soemthing...
Damn excited...

Sorry for seeming a little disconnected John, We were doing inventory today at the store. I've been looking at sku's alllll daaayyy loooonnng. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

toybreaker

iconoclast
No worries.

I've got my hands full as well.

Ok wow, i'm pretty effing close.
So i'm negotiating barter on some 1g oil cooler lines.
Thanks to Derekvr4 for a oil drain line, intercooler and manifold. This guys been a big help and has saved me a lot of money so far getting this thing up.
Then Toybreaker might have a front and middle half of the driveshaft which will need to be pieced together. Again Tremendous help being offered from him as well.
My list is dwindleing, all i have left now is a GOD DAMN WOODRUFF KEY(The dealer wants 4.5 bucks for a chunk of metal not even worthy of paperweight status \rant)! and I need to change out a cam gear thanks to dereks keen eye and a hood and a windshield and she's damn near there. Never thought i'd be this close. This really is something else.
Just an update for you fellas. Soon everything will be installed and If I can figure out this key status, i might have this thing running(not driving) by... Wednesday??

So I ordered a woodruff key today from Mitsu, that should be here Monday.
I also bartered some oil lines. Still have to figure out what I need to get those to work. Couple of fittings i'm sure. That should come out to what? 4 an fittings oooh like 300 bucks??
Then I need to trade off my 90 tb for a 91. Have an add in the f/s section.
I have my eye on a hood but i'm not sure whats going to come first, a windshield or a hood. Ones 140 and another is 100. Once I get both, I wont have to hide it under the car cover at my apartment complex. That'll be nice.

I do need some help with a decision. I'm going to ebay for some 3-4 ply hoses. I need to do one of 4 or so things...
A: I can get a 1.75 to 2.5 silicone elbow for 27 bucks shipped and use my NT throttle body and use the stock intercooler setup.
B: Sell trade or steal a 91 TB and use a 91 TB elbow and just use the stock i/c piping. I have the elbow but not the throttle body. This would essentially be a wash since I can sell one for the price of another. Just takes more time.
C: I can purchase a 2.5" 45 degree elbow for 18.99 and reuse it when I do my FMIC setup. Then buy a 2.5 to 1.75 reducer for 15.98 and use some 2.5 piping to connect the two and run the stock i/c piping that way. This costs 34.96 but I get to use the 2.5 elbow again.
D: Try and get my 90 TB to work with my current wiring harness, which I do NOT want to hack up. Then run my 91 tb elbow and everything is kosher. This is free but takes some work and I would have to wire everything to be undone or figure out a way not to cut the stock connector.

Other than this little dillema I have everything else almost worked out. Let me know what yall think.

Wow no love.
Well I got the woodruff key finally. Installed everything on the timing side. I still need the power steering pulley that connects to the water pump. Not sure where thats at but I just buttoned it all up and its ready for belts. I'll be ordering some adapters to connect 6an to my oil cooler and oil filter housing. I'll be getting 4 hopefully I wont have any issues with them...

Soon as the oil lines come in the mail, I'll put those on and prime the system then go for a start...

Heres smore random pictures of the gaylant:
98a4xu.jpg

16bjxbl.jpg

2ngbnrm.jpg

Great news. I found a guy locally that was selling some lines and picked them as well as an oil drain line I was needing. So I pretty much have everything I need to start the car. I'll finish installing the water lines to the turbo paint a few things and we're golden.

Got a wire wheel on my bench grinder so I derusted all my oil lines and painted them with high temp silver. I also picked up a paint stripper thick wire wheel lookin thing. Its effing nuts but I just dont know if its going to work as well as I thought. I used it around a few rusted spots to get an idea and i'm not impressed. I think sandblasting is my only option. And that seems like it may not work... we'll see.
Should be putting the engine in again tonight if not tomorrow afternoon. After that its a coupler and a windshield, hood and driveshaft away from driving out of this place. Then the apartment complex can eat my ass... I'll even supply the spooon.

In case ANYONE is even still watchin this thread... Got the motor back in, a/c's on and fits yay, starter is still on, Cas, turbo, oil lines, water lines and clutch cables fit yay!
So tomorrow:
Throttle body
reconnect everything
Radiator and hoses
fit intercooler piping
install 02 sensor
Fill extra motor mounts with poly. The tranny mount is completely gonzo, literally.
fill bleed clutch
install brake lines
install new axles
figure out a way to get a throttle body from a 91 or jerry rig it for now
Prime the monkey and start the hoe!

toybreaker

iconoclast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke.gif Who you talking to? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Sounds like you're making excellent progress!

One lesson I learned the hard way is to get the motor sitting in there exactly as you're going to run it, before you fabricate any intercooler piping. If you change the mount out later, you may have to remake a bunch of stuff.

How are the other mounts, and did you use a gvr4 front engine mount bracket?

If you can wait a day or two, I can get you the transmission mount.

I'm still waiting to hear back from you what you would like to do on the center driveshaft. I found you a complete gvr4 unit, ( condition unknown ), at another local owners shop. He's going to want some money for it, but it may be better than trying to piece the one I have back together.

I'll call him on tuesday and remind him to go dig it out and report on it's condition.

Now, go get some sleep!

Well whats that shops name?? I bought this car from J.R. He told me he had a driveshaft for me but I never picked it up... if this is the shop i'm thinking of.... I'll have to call him. I was a slacker for so long i figured they didnt' have it anymore. Lemme see....

Today me and Derek Derekvr4 primed the oil system, installed the starter wiring, the cas and all that.

I'm trying to use the stock i/c piping until a later date. Just need it to run and drive for the apartment complex...
I do have the gvr4 front motor mount. I'll have to take that one out but its better than taking all 4 out.
Oh is the tranny mount different as well??

I thought we had the driveshaft figured out. I sent you a PM a few days ago wondering what was up... I've been drunk a few times since then so maybe I got a reply and dont remember.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Ok just got talked to JR and he said its Pro Tech automotive...??
He hasn't talked to the guy for a while but said he should give it up farely easy and if there are any problems to give JR a call??
I dunno, maybe i'll attack that tomorrow.
Is that what the shop is called John?

All i need to start this thing is injector seals, theres a set off of 104th ave at advance auto parts. I may just make one trip and do all of that. Maybe I can get my ass out of bed at a decent hour tomorrow.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Quote:
Ok just got talked to JR and he said its Pro Tech automotive...??

Is that what the shop is called John?

Nah, it's "precision auto", up north...

I was just trying to make it easy/cost effective for you.

I loaned out both my spare driveshafts, and all I have left is just the first two sections of the driveshaft from #201. You would have to buy another rear section (any awd dsm), and then reassemble the thing with fresh u-joints and carrier bearings. That's a bunch more money in parts than Ted wanted for the complete unit out of the car he crushed, (and a hell of a lot more time and effort)

Your call, as I said before. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned