The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Problems with #1707!!!

Hi i recently finished the motor and have it installed in the car now. The car starts but has been hard to get to hold an idle and runs a little rough like a small misfire. Motor also has alot of Blow by and has been pushing oil out of the valve cover in excess it seems and i have re done the gasket a few times now I will be trying a different valve cover next. Just would like to know what could be the cause for all of the blow by

SouthCaliVR4

where at the valve cover is it "pushing" oil? if it's the Vally check the cover for cracks, it's very easy to over torque & crack the cover. also check the oil cap gasket, if it's at all hard replace it. If your pcv valve is not OE toss it & get the OE one.

rough run & bad idle, check for vac/boost leaks, recheck t-belt static timing & base timing set of the CAS with the timing plug grounded.

Do some cruising through the website vfaq.com, lots of good basic info & tips. you may just trip across a fix for your issues there.

Also check the plug wires for arcing in the plug well & make sure the plug gap is correct .27 tighter if you run a lot of boost.

BTW, if the rings aren't seated yet a lot of blow-by is to be expected but should go away fairly quickly, under a hundred mi. if you still have it after a brief break in period you may have rings refusing to seat, caused by poor hone of the cyl walls prior to assembly.

was cyl wall clearance checked? home build or machine shop? how much run time has the motor seen?

Thanks for the response! The motor was built by me at work I work in a toyota dealership so I have had all the proper tools and checked everything out but this still is my first motor build. The motor has had maybe 8mins of run time so far so im going to try and get this rough idle situation figured out and get some miles put on it. Thanks your input is HIGHLY APPRECIATED!

Well took out the spark plugs today and the number 4cyl spark plug had been chewed up by the piston. took off the valvecover and noticed a rocker had came off of a valve but the valve stem was still there and secured by the keeper. Any ideas? going to remove the head monday

Diego

Improper timing. If this is your first 4G one thing you need to know is that these motors are Severe Interferance Motors, and if your timing is off, bye bye head.

Thanks for the replies. Turns out a valve stuck open and broke off when the piston slapped it. No signs of timing being off i dont see where any other valves slapped a piston

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned