The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Need help with electric fans

bmxr152

Okay so i got this project galant and it came with no radiator, fans, hoses, a bunch of missing stuff. I got a radiator for it and went to the junkyard to grab the coolant sensor and harness but when i got back the harness was bigger, N/A galants are different fan setup? Now my question is does anyone have any pics of where i need to tap into for the passanger fan and also for the pusher ac fan.

broxma

I'll just get this out of the way up front since I dedicated an entire post to nothing but this in order to make a definitive post on the subject.

This has been covered about 7000 times.

Now, I'll give you some help. In my opinion, ditch the sensor and take control of the fans manually. When do you turn the fans on? When you stop. So as part of the stopping routine, slip in a flick of a switch to turn on the fans.

On the Fuse box in the engine bay there is a cylindrical silverish relay for the radiator fans. One of those wires going to the bottom of it is hot only with the key in. It is blue with a red stripe. Solder onto this wire, run the wire into the cabin to a switch, run the other end back out to the fan positive. Ground anywhere. Done.

Alternatively, fight with the harness and the wiring which even through days of testing re-testing, wiring in a hundred different ways, I couldn't get to work proper.

Fan, switch, ground.

/brox

bmxr152

Yeah i finally found it using google search, its so hard to find anything with the search on here. Anyways i figured out the passanger fan wiring, but now the the A/C fan thats a pusher, what wires are for the fan and remember i dont have any plug to the fan. im looking at just the plug off the wiring harness

prove_it

Quoting broxma:

On the Fuse box in the engine bay there is a cylindrical silverish relay for the radiator fans. One of those wires going to the bottom of it is hot only with the key in. It is blue with a red stripe. Solder onto this wire, run the wire into the cabin to a switch, run the other end back out to the fan positive. Ground anywhere. Done.

/brox

So your advice is to run a hot wire into the cabin then through a switch and back to the fan then to ground?
You never install a switch on the hot side, not to mention your wiring will carry about 7-10 amps or so. It creates a fire hazard and can cause multiple issues.

Just wanted to comment on how I feel when I read posts telling someone to just simply hack their car and start running wiring all over the place.

cspetros

First of all, are you saying that you got a non-turbo harness, and you're trying to use it on a VR4?

In accord with the circuit diagrams contained in the second volume of the factory service manual, the radiator fans on most non-turbo model Galants only have a 4 pin connector, while the turbo models (and non-turbo G-GSX models with automatic transmissions) have a six pin connector. This fan is the one that requires a bit of changing if you are using it.

As far as the A/C Condenser fan, they had the same connectors between the non-turbo and turbo models. The only difference is that some models have the condenser fan mounted behind, alongside the radiator fan (non-turbo FWD and AWD M/T), and some have it mounted in front (non-turbo AWD A/T, and turbo models).

If you've got the radiator fan hooked up, great. For the condenser fan, you need to find the condenser fan relays, and the connector located just below those relays, by looking at this picture:

By the way, here is the thread Brox was referring to: Fan Wiring Thread

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned