The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fans Cutting On and Off but car is too hot

jmorri15

So the car will get up to temperature nice and quickly but will keep climbing up to around 226º. The fans will cycle on and off but they will not start before around 210º-215º and it will not pull the temps down below 215º. I have a 3inch think intercooler and ac blocking the radiator. I have a new stock replacement radiator from rockauto.
Could it be a fan switch problem? How do I check? Should I be looking at replacing the radiator I have with a dual pass one? Can I use the coolant offset in Linkv3 to start my fans earlier?
Thanks guys

turbowop

It sounds like they're operating like they're supposed to. The main fan runs off a switch mounted at the bottom of the radiator. ECMlink can't be used to control fan operation on our cars. That's a 2g thing. Are you using factory fans, or a slimline? All air removed from the cooling system? Mine does okay with AC and a large intercooler, but hot days during the summer it will get up to 213-216 in traffic. This is with a good FAL shrouded slimfan.

Last edited:

jmorri15

its two what look like stock pusher fans mounted in front of the condensor. Ill have to try burping the system again.

EMX5636

Try burping first. Maybe take a pic of the fans? I used to run a bit hot with Mishimoto/ebay fans. I swapped to SPAL slim fans, and it made a huge difference, esp with the A/C on. Maybe you just don't have the airflow you need?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts