The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Valve cover removal issue

prove_it

I started to take my spare engine apart and when I got to the valve cover I took all the bolts out and tried to get it off. I tried everything, but it's stuck beyond belief. Almost like it's glued, any suggestions?

Barnes

Uhg, hate when they are stuck that bad. I tend to hit it on the sides as firm as I'm comfortable with using a rubber mallet. That or do it really gently with a hammer. Pretty much just keep wacking at it until it breaks the bonds loose. Also helps to stick your fingers in the oil filler hole and pull up and hit it at the same time.

GVR4ZUM

^ What he said. Also you can try prying it by sticking a flat head screwdriver by the half moon. That works for me, just be careful.

Last edited:

Lucas03ES

I would just get a razor blade under it and work it off that way, you have a less chance of messing up the valve cover.

JNR

Use a PLASTIC scraper or driver (wide), etc. and try to pry up, gently...

Also, try a plastic scraper and get in under the seal and work your way around the head.

prove_it

I tried the half moon trick, no luck, tried prying and smacking, no luck. I'll try to "cut" it off. Hope it works. Wish me luck!

fivestardsm

Although the rubber mallet is a common tool to be used here, sometime you need the force from a soild blow. I like to use either my dead blow hammer and a piece of 2X4 to knock it loose at the fron corner above the thermo housing. This seems to be the strongest point of the valve cover.

I have never had one break yet, but again, like was mentioned above, Be Careful.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Last edited:

All the bolts out? lol I have had them suctioned on but a rubber mallot usually does the trick.

Barnes

If you have a dead blow, use that. Like fivestardsm said, they are better.

GVR-4

I had one stuck like that and tried everything everyone has mentioned. What ultimately worked was prying up at the half-moon seal. You have to get under the valve cover and that's the only place to do it. You will destroy the half-moon seal in the process, but that was the only way I could get mine off.

prove_it

We'll see what happens this weekend. I didn't have my deadblow last time, but I brought it home from work this time. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts