The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

hyundai valve cover question

4Grim

Quoting bazeng:
Use the studs mate. That way you wont wear out the thread in the head.

The washers are also required (rubber coated). The nuts too.

You will need a different valve cover gasket (from Hyundai).

Keep in mind also, not all spark plug covers will fit, the Hyundai ones have a tiny difference in the bend near the oil cap.

I got my hyundai valve cover from a 99 Sonata in a salvage yard. I read this thread stating studs and nuts..but the ones I pulled off the Sonata were bolts, but with a thicker base with about half a inch of thread. It fits fairly well..but like what Bazeng stated, the upper left corner of the valve cover and the upper right don't line up center with the Mitsu head. I had to grind down the center base of the bolts a little to get the bolt to thread into the head..but it was a easy solution. It was weired..only issues where those 2 bolt holes, all the rest sit perfect.

Here is a pic of the Hyundai VC..stripped the original black paint and repainted it gunmetal.

IMG_0872.jpg

IMG_0874.jpg

GVR-4

Quoting insane92:
You guys are making this way more difficult than it needs to be. You do not need to use the studs, nuts, or the Hyundai vc gasket.

You can use a Mitsu vc gasket and bolts. Use washers to make up for the gap. Many others including myself have done it this way without an issue.

So you have absolutely no oil leaking from the valve cover?

Wizardawd

Why not use the Hyundai VC gasket? It's cheaper and fits better. And you should always try to use the bolts that come with the VC. They have the thick shoulders for a reason. They are less prone to breaking and do a better job of spreading the load onto the gasket.

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned