GalantVR4.org The Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Forum
NOTICE: This forum is for archiving information and discussions. Please do not reply to threads unless you have valuable information to add. Do not post questions or problems here.

Galant VR-4 Forums » Galant VR-4 » How To and Info Archive » Re: Factory Spec wheel alignment
Previous thread Next thread

Re: Factory Spec wheel alignment

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109483 posted 06/14/03 09:24 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
...with a someone about 20lbs heavier than me in the driver seat and still very little gas.

1038 937

797 732

Thanks Marks I am very interested in your comments if you have more. I really want to start to understand more on this aspect of the car.

Harry

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.13.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

markrieb

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109484 posted 06/16/03 11:18 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Harry,

Without taking up an apprenticeship with a NASCAR team, buy a book called "How to Make Your Car Handle" by Fred Puhn. My local Barnes and Noble usually keeps a copy on the shelf, list price is around $20, usually found for less.

Quite a bit of time is spent explaining all of the suspension terms, what the different numbers should be, how the car is affected if they are not what they should be, et..

A couple of other books that have been recommended, but I haven't read are:

Performance Handling/How to Make Your Car Handle Techniques for the 1990's or High-Performance Handling Handbook by Don Alexander

Chassis Engineering/Chassis Design, Building & Tuning for High Performance Handling by Herb Adams (of F-Body fame)

Tune to Win by Carroll Smith

Mark Rieb

Posts: 612 | From: Kennewick, WA, USA | Member Since: 02/23/01 | IP: (68.129.21.197) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109485 posted 06/16/03 02:40 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Thanks Mark,

I have the Adams book and I will pick up the Puhn.

Number3 can finally be driven again.

Harry

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.13.73) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109486 posted 06/16/03 09:34 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Well I drove number3 today for some break in miles and the car seems to handle pretty well, so far as I can tell.

The rear top nuts on the Tiens keep coming loose. I think I have a fix though. I need to soften them up (currently on #8) the car bounces real hard over bumps. They are much stiff than the AGX/H&R combo.

Harry

I started a new thread for better search archives.

http://www.galantvr4.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=002579

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.10.55) | Report this post to a Moderator

Minjin
Unregistered

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109487 posted 06/16/03 11:13 PM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post      
Here's my page on book recommendations. Its probably outdated (along with everything else).

http://www.minnstech.com/books.htm

Strangely enough, I highly recommend the Mustang book. They use mcpherson struts in the front same as we do and it details their ways to overcome its inherent disadvantages. The other books tend to give more info on race track suspensions like doube wishbone and SLAs.

I do disagree with the book on one aspect. It talks about how the only reason that Macpherson strut is used is for cost reasons. IMHO, mac strut is superior for rally and notice that the 911 has used this design as well for the past 30 years. Obviously, cost is not a concern with that car.

Mark

| | | IP: (24.54.214.19) | Report this post to a Moderator

number3

Galant VR-4 org Post #: 109488 posted 06/17/03 06:53 AM     Remind Me!  Send Private Message   Edit Post   
[Cool]

I have the Mustang performance, because of my V8 Miata and I love that book. I have it marked and highlighted all over the place.

It is written so well but nothing on the suspension. Maybe that is what book two is about. I will gladly check it out. Thanks.

Harry

Posts: 7623 | From: KoP, PA | Member Since: 06/26/01 | IP: (68.80.10.55) | Report this post to a Moderator

Pages: 1 | 2
Previous thread Next thread

Extra information
1 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Galant VR4.org Moderator:  curtis, steve, atc250r, jcgalntvr4-244, cheekychimp, jepherz, Rausch, toybreaker, iceman69510, pot, FlyingEagle 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Thread views: 6398

Rate this thread

News & Events: News | Events
Galant VR-4: Newbies | General VR4 Discussions | Technical Discussions | How To and Info Archive
Marketplace: Parts For Sale | Cars For Sale | Good Guys | Bad Guys
Community: Members' Showcase

Contact Us | Privacy statement GalantVR-4.org

Generated in 0.052 seconds in which 0.023 seconds were spent on a total of 13 queries. Turbo powered.

Hertz's Galant VR-4 Page