The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Turbo actuator to activate Cyclone intake!

Nabeel

click>>>
Any one can tell if this is correct? I think this is wrong because he is deactivate at 10PSI of boost. And Cyclone being activated at low boost. Also there is another hose at the top of the actuator. Any one can guess why is this? I have supra.tt turbo actuator on my hand. There is no such hose on the top!

curtis

you can do it two ways one like this
img.php

or contact Jeff aka Keydiver and get him to burn a chip and control off of RPM.

Nabeel

Curtis..Thanks for the comments. Actually I am using JDM ECU. But I am not sure if it is activating the Cyclone. Any how I am not planing to socket & burn a chip now. I am just waiting to complete the project. For now i am thinking of mechanical way to activate the cyclone at certain boost.

You could rig em up just to stay open. The only other ways besides the ecu are a hobbs switch (presure activated switch) or a msd rpm activated box and do it at a certain rpm. The hobbs switch is all diy project and would have to source some other parts also.

The Cyclone operates most efficiently when switched by rpm, not boost, since the runners are tuned for certain rpm ranges. The stock JDM Cyclone ECU switches them at ~4500 rpm if I recall. I set chips to 4100, based on some graphs I have seen.

gmp

jeff how can i tell if mine is kickin on? Cause well i dont really feel or hear a difference, and i thought i should of noticed something. is there a way to check with the car just in one spot not on the road?

gmp

sry to thread jack key diver if you wanna pm further that would be great too

grocery_getter

When I used to use the cyclone manifold eons ago, I was controlling that using an rpm window switch. I use a Summit Racing rpm window switch, its cheap, wire it in with a vacumm solenoid I have laying around to regulate manifold air pressure towards the cyclone actuator. With the rpm switch, I am able to change the rpm points as often as needed to experiment on which setting gives me the better response.

Here's a link to the Summit Racing window switch that I use.

click

Nabeel

Please one more eniqury...What if I just disconnect the hose at the Cyclone actuator? Will the 8 runners sty open or will close the 4 runners?

Barnes

They stay open if you do that. The use the vacuum signal to close.

The best way to tell if the Cyclone is working or not is to tee your boost gauge into the line to the Cyclone diaphragm. You should see vacuum there until 4100+ rpm, at which point it should drop to zero, atmosphere.
In order of preference, as far as how to hook up the Cyclone, I think I would rate them:
1) Triggered by RPM, using the ECU or a "pill", as suggested above.
Since the runners of the Cyclone are tuned for different rpm bands, this seems to give the best of both worlds, with a smooth transition when they switch. Best when uses with a vacuum canister, which will hold the secondaries shut until the rpm trigger point has been reached, even though there is no longer vacuum in the intake.
2) Activated by boost. This was the old way, where we used to use a Hobbs switch, set to a certain boost pressure at which point the vacuum in the diaphragm is allowed to escape to atmosphere. Best when uses with a vacuum canister, which will hold the secondaries shut until the right boost pressure.
3) Many people simply connect the Cyclone diaphragm directly to the intake port, so the secondaries will open as soon as there is no more vacuum to hold them shut. The 2 bad parts of this are that this usually activates the secondaries too soon, so you lose much of the lowend torque benefit, and you are also exposing the diaphragm to very high boost pressures, which could cause premature failure. As far as I know, parts to repair or replace the diaphragm are no longer available.
4) You *can* just leave the vacuum line to the diaphragm disconnected, but the manifoild will basically act just like a standard USDM intake manifold at that point, so you aren't benefitting from any of the advantages of the Cyclone.

Nabeel

Thanks.....that is very helpful

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned