The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Car Goes Boom...Help Identify Part

Chad989of2000

Just reconfigure my EBC (HKS EVC EZ) to what the factory stated. 1 line goes to external wastegate actuator, 1 line t'd with BOV and Intake Mani, and the final line t'd with the secondary wastegate actuator and turbo compressor housing on the intercooler piping. Took the car out for a spin and got it up to 10psi which came on really quick then I heard a series of backfires (stutterbox like) and the car began smoking and started pissing out coolant. Heard some metal clanging (always nice) and found this on the road...

On the interior shot it reads "Regis MFG" and it looks like there's gray RTV. I'm at a loss at what this is...any ideas on its identity or how this happened?

its a freeze plug from a used engine or rebuilt engine. that silver button glued on melts if it overheated. did your car have staight water in it or proper coolant mix when it was cold outside?

Chad989of2000

Always had a proper coolant mixture in it. I have only run this rebuilt engine 3500 miles. What would cause the freeze plug to fall out? Also how do I go about fixing it?

AnotherNewb

I would suggest a compression test.... Bet you blew a head gasket and the pressure on the coolant system pushed the plug out.

Chad989of2000

Anybody ever install a new one of these, I heard it's a real hassle? I believe it's from the rear of the engine block and work space is limited.

The Plan:
-Buy OEM Core/Freeze Plug, install
-Re-Torque Head Bolts/Buy new Head Bolts (ARP)
-Compression Test (Pray for Head Gasket Survival)

AnotherNewb

A socket, a hammer, and an extra joint in your arm to apply leverage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
but on a serious note you might as well pull the intake so you have some room to work.

Chad989of2000

Yeah pulling it now...along with fuel rail...etc...so fun. Yeah, looks like shop used some aftermarket ones, going to Mitsu dealership this evening to grab some OEM goodness.

GSX_TC

That's good. Genuine Mitsu parts are must for stuff like that

AnotherNewb

Quoting Chad989of2000:
Anybody ever install a new one of these, I heard it's a real hassle? I believe it's from the rear of the engine block and work space is limited.

The Plan:
-Buy OEM Core/Freeze Plug, install
-Re-Torque Head Bolts/Buy new Head Bolts (ARP)
-Compression Test (Pray for Head Gasket Survival)
-Prepair for JSB status

Fixed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chad989of2000

Haha...no joke. Intake manifold off...found another freeze plug just hanging out...now I have to pull the exhaust manifold. So...pulling the whole engine for overhaul. JSB for real. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

AnotherNewb

Just a little know fact, the correct term is core plug. Core plugs were never designed to POP out in the event that someone puts water in their coolant system and it freezes. Their true design is to plug the holes cast into the block that allows the sand used in the casting process to drain out of the cooling jackets. Haveing them pop out when your block freezes is only coincidence.

Chad989of2000

^^^The actual correct name is "Welch Plug" it fills the hole left in the creation of the block. But for parts ordering...you really need to use "freeze plug" or no one knows what you're talking about, as evident at my local Mitsu dealership. Needless to say there are 9 in total, and I will be replacing each and every one of them.

vtecds1

I just did one for the throttlebody. Pain in the ass since it tends to shift once you hit it.

Chad989of2000

*UPDATE*

Ended up pulling the engine a couple nights ago because there was a freezeplug blown out on both the exhaust and intake sides of the engine. Also going to swap in a rebuilt trans, new clutch, flywheel etc...while engine is out. Going to replace all freezeplugs (autozone ones) with OEM Mitsu plugs for my mental well being. Thanks for the help as usual fellas, plan to get her all put together asap and hit some autocross/track days this summer.

GSX_TC

Glad to see your getting the right parts

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned