The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

rear caliper sticking.

2of9

Hey guys. I'm in need to triple check to see if our rear calipers are the same as the 91-93 TELs. I'm looking at Rock Auto and the part numbers looks the same as our cars. ....? so, please let me know because i need my car to be running soon. There are some DSMs at the junkyard and I'm gonna go check it out if the TEL calipers are the same as ours. I'm planning to get this my car all good and ready to go before the Modern Automotive Performance Shootout!. thanks guys!!

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Yes they are the same.

fivestardsm

Granted they are the same in general, but I was thinking the GVR4's had the larger cylinder bore like the AUTO AWD DSM's. Which, btw, is a great upgrade if you ever have to buy 2 new calipers at once. Ill have to look at mine to make sure. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Don't know anything about that. I'll check the service manuals.

2of9

well...i was stupid enough to remember to obtain the AWD calipers and instead got an N/A caliper...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

*sighs* well, at least i got the caliper out tonight. to my suprise, the n/a calipers were very very similar except the e-brake bolt is upside down instead of it being up. thanks for the help though guys!

Wizardawd

Most common reason for the rear calipers to stick is whoever changed the rear pads didn't press the piston back in properly.

Unlike the front calipers, the rears use a parking brake that operates the rear caliper via a worm gear inside. The piston HAS to be turned in to avoid stripping this gear. Easy way to confirm this is to manually move the parking brake lever to the home position with a hammer. You don't have to hit it hard. If the brake is now fully released, the caliper is still usable as long as you don't use the parking brake. But, if you want to use the e-brake, you will need to replace it.

2g's use a mini-drum brake inside the rear rotor for the parking brake. Thus, most 2g calipers don't have this issue.

And i'm pretty sure it has to be a 1g AWD, the turbo FWD and NT I believe shared the same rear setup.

Wiz

GIjoe

^^ I have the same problem. Can it be fixed at the next pad change? or do I need a new caliper?

Last edited:

Wizardawd

New caliper, the gear is stripped/damaged. If it sticks during just normal brake use, then it would be the piston itself is not returning properly. But, if it only sticks/drags after parking brake use, then you know.

Wiz

2of9

^^yeah wiz, the piston was sticking quite tremendously. we had a good 10 minute battle with it taking it out from the rotor. the caliper is the easy part, FINDING a 1g awd rear caliper is a pain in the ass to find around my area. i spent my whole morning trying to find it around town and spent a good 1 hour calling other places.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned