The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

i have no idea 271/2000

pudge76

so im driving down the road and i rip threw 1st 2nd and 3rd and around 4k rpm my tach goes nuts and the car just turns off i didn't hear anything and i just coasted all the way to my apartment thank god i was close to my apartment, trying to start the car wheni came to a stop and nothing try to roll start it nothing , next day the safc doesnt rev past 164 when trying to turn over knowing my car it kicks on at 745 any help would be great_ 19 year old kid with a VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barnes

Tach goes nuts? Like the needle swings all over the place with no relation to actual engine RPM? Sounds like a bad transistor pack to me as it drives the tach output. And if it went haywire, it's also highly likely that you would also stop getting spark.

EfiniX

Quoting pudge76:
so im driving down the road and i rip threw 1st 2nd and 3rd and around 4k rpm my tach goes nuts and the car just turns off i didn't hear anything and i just coasted all the way to my apartment thank god i was close to my apartment, trying to start the car wheni came to a stop and nothing try to roll start it nothing , next day the safc doesnt rev past 164 when trying to turn over knowing my car it kicks on at 745 any help would be great_ 19 year old kid with a VR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I can help. It's right there, towards the bottom of the keyboard, sandwiched between the comma and the forward-slash. It shares the same key as the close-chevron, or "angle bracket". Simply place one at the end of each complete thought that contains a subject, predicate, and typically, a noun.

ta-da!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for your issue, check your transistors as suggested.

Tommyd

Check the CAS connection too. I was doing a 3rd gear pull and had the same symptoms and my CAS plug came loose. Ended up cutting it and wiring up a new pigtail.

snailspool

The transistor pack is on the drivers side of the intake, near the coil packs. Little black box the size of a credit card but about 1/2" thick.

SSGdave

hmmmm... Id pull the ECU, open it up and check the board.

Ive had a few Cars act that way with leaked caps and damaged traces on the ECU Board.
And id recomend checking all the items mentioned in this thread as well.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned