The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Where to get Accessory Belts!!

SiennaLover69

I've been pulling my hair out on this one for a while. My belts are getting super squeeky, and ive been to like 3 O'Reilly's in my area trying to get replacements but they all always give me the wrong belts. They say in their system that the Galant VR-4 only has two belts, when it has three right? Or am I missing something.

Is there anywhere online that I can get replacement belts that are for sure the right size?
Thanks in advance!

prove_it

You can still get the alternator belt from the dealer. That's your best bet there. Maybe the AC belt too, can't remember. The P/S belt is a v belt that's discontinued.

Are you sure your using the right tension on the belts?

Last edited:

Barnes

Three belts:

1)Crank -> A/C
2)Crank -> Alternator & water pump
3)Water pump -> Power steering

The first two belts are multi v-rib belts, the third belt is a single v-belt. The parts store *should* have these without a problem. They are the same on regular galants.

Barnes

1)gates k040365
2)gates k040390
3)gates 9265

EHmotorsports

The Orileys out here has them listed correctly. Are you telling them VR4? Or making sure it's a 2.0l DOHC turbo With AC?

slugsgomoo

Pro-tip, if you aren't having luck, tell them 1991 Eclipse GSX. All three belts are available, but many parts stores seem clueless about the GVR4.

pot

Staff member
To add to what Barnes said, here are the three OEM Mitsubishi Part #'s for all three belts:

1.) BELT, P/S (Power Steering Belt) MD178430
2.) V-RIBBED BELT, WATER (Water Pump) MD187458
3.) V-RIBBED BELT (A/C) MB439336

There's nothing wrong with buying either Gates, Dayco, NAPA and the other retail parts store accessory belts however if you insist upon hassle free OEM parts shipped straight to your door than check out either:

JNZtuning.net
extremepsi.com *I doubt extreme carries the A/C belt but its worth a try

SiennaLover69

Cool thanks for the tips!
Yeah i've told them VR4, I think its the ac belt that they always give me the wrong one and they don't seem to ever have the power steering belt.
As far as using the right tension im not sure. Ive tightened the alternator belt a year ago when it started getting loud everything was good up until a couple months ago. I then tried to tighten the alternator and the power steering belt with no luck.
Im almost certain its the alternator belt, I just figured I might as well replace the others while I was at it! Any other tips about squeeky belts would be much appreciated, I've been learning about cars with my vr4 so everything helps. Thanks!

prove_it

Never use belt dressing! Never ever ever.

Also check your pulleys for debris in the grooves. Also if you still have the stock crank pulley chances are that it might be worn and wobbling which causes noise.

When you put new belts on, tighten them so that you can twist the belt 90 degrees. Run the engine for a few minutes(10-20) and recheck the tension. New belts will stretch at first and loosen up.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned