The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Updating rear seat belts

idreamidrive

Not sure if this is a dumb question or not...

I am using my gvr4 as the family hauler with three car seats in the rear, super safe 80s engineering, I know, but the wife only wants one car. She is the money maker so we currently have two, but the other is a Miata. Getting the child seats all snug would be so much easier if the rear belts ratcheted and locked in place like the front seats and all cars after some certain year. Does anybody know if the newer galant or eclipse belts bolt in or even if you ordered new belts from the dealer that they would lock?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I am not sure about the seatbelt question, but I think maybe a later model Galant would offer what are called "ALR" which is automatic locking retractor belts and might fit lengthwise. I would look at the 8g maybe as an option. I have one so I can check it out later today.

Also, if this will help, I have some of the later model hooks for the top tether that mount in the rear parcel shelf. I will give them to you if you want if I can find them. I was always going to try installing them but my kids are past needing them now. I think I even have the covers.

fuel

What do your rear seat belts do currently? Are they fixed length with an adjuster on the belt itself? On my '91 VR-4 (JDM) the rear seat belts retract into the C pillar except for the middle lap belt.

idreamidrive

The middle is just the locking lap belt, the side belts go into the c pillar. On newer cars, when you pull the seat belt ALL the way out it will ratchet lock so that you can install car seats safely. Our cars do not have this feature. I am using the belt lock that came with the child seats. It works, but is a pain when you take the seats out of the car and reinstall them. It would get the seats in the car tighter than they are now. They are in there now correctly, but a little tighter would always be better.

Iceman, I will take you up on that offer of the top tether anchors.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts