The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

WTB: Manual seat belt conversion parts, or mouse parts ...

My new GVR4 came to me without any of the mouse belt parts, just the lap belts are still there, this may have been fine for an inspection in PA but up here in NH it isn't going to cut it ...

I'd really like to do the manual seat belt conversion, I have little experience of the GVR4 with mouse belts but am fully aware what an annoyance they are from my 1G DSMs. I have read the How To and a few other related Topics on this site, so I see how it is less than trivial and has a less than stock look unless you do the roof liner, carpets, etc. but ...

As I need to get this car inspected ASAP I'm willing to pay a reasonable premium for the parts - assuming someone is caching them to do the job at a later date and will have time to repurchase - $175 seems to be the going rate so I will pay $200 plus shipping to NH for everything required (except roof liner and carpet).

If I can't find a set of these parts fairly quickly then I guess I'll need the parts to get my mouse belts fully functional again. I seem to be missing all of the door rails motors, the center console rolls and trim pieces, and probably ECU for the setup. I just hope the wiring hasn't been too hacked up for them if I have to do this route - I would really just rather go the manual route ...

PM me with whatever you have

CP

Dan,

I've got the stock center roll still that resides in the center console if you want it.

As far as the manual belts go, I'd suggest buying brand new belts. I bought a used set and had them in my car but later removed them because they were a bit frayed and I didn't trust them in the event of an accident.

blacksheep

Also, if you remove/replace the track, you will need to use the plastic pillars from a non-belt car. One issue you will run into is the fact that the headliner needs to be longer, else you will have gaps showing. I am quite sure this was an issue and I re-did mine. I could be wrong...

Quote:
I've got the stock center roll still that resides in the center console if you want it.

I may end up taking you up on this offer - when are you next up this way for NHIS?
Quote:
As far as the manual belts go, I'd suggest buying brand new belts. I bought a used set and had them in my car but later removed them because they were a bit frayed and I didn't trust them in the event of an accident.

This sounds like quite a good idea - time to get CAPS out and work out what's the minimal bits I can buy to get new webbing ... unless you have part#s to hand. I'm still going to need all the trim bits if I go this route though - although I guess I could get the belts installed, get inspected and then find the trim as I go.

What bit exactly is missing from the roof lining / trim with this install? Pics would be good, as I couldn't work out from the other Topics exactly where the problem areas are - just that there were headliner/trim issues ... I'd like it to look as stock as possible in the long run.

It looks like the minimal parts for the seat belts are ... the belts as a complete unit. They don't even list the faster as separate.

It looks like there were three iterations of the manual belts before they went automatic though - I wonder what the differences are?

Here's the part#s(list price) for dark gray belts:[*]date used - left#($),right#($)
[*]8801-8808 - MB734385($155.38),MB734388($155.38)
[*]8809-8905 - MB749180($179.15),MB749183($170.40)
[*]8906-9005 - MB758910($177.13),MB758913($152.52)[/list]
The bizarre pricing makes me want to ask even more questions ...

I don't suppose you know what you ordered Cy?

CP

Quote:
I may end up taking you up on this offer - when are you next up this way for NHIS?

Weekend after July 4th with COM...July 7th/8th.

I didn't order any parts, but rather bought everything needed off someone here. So I don't know part numbers...sorry.

boostx

i may be able to find you Manual seat belt, but it won't be until two weeks time

Manual belts from the dealer were no longer available years ago when I inquired.

When you find used manual Galant belts there are two types. The early type 88 to mid 89 is a straight belt. The later type mid 89 to late 90s has a loop sewn in at the bottom which rips apart in a bad accident in order to reduce the belt to torso g forces. If you get later type, check to make sure an accident has not started to fray that sewing. It has a sliding cover at the bottom of the belt to inspect the stitching.

One more factoid. About 90ish there was a manual seat belt buckle recall. Mit sent out notices and dealers replaced the buckles free. Something about buckle failure in a crash. Not sure if buckle let go or jammed closed. I don't know how you tell a buckle from the defective lot from the ones that were replaced by dealers.

That said I have a mouse belt window unit for the passenger side from my 92 CA GVR4 80k miles from my conversion. I would let it go for $5. plus shipping Shipping from CA is brutal because of the size of the unit, shipping estimated $40-$50.

Just looked and also have mouse belt b pillar to buckle belts and seat buckles (different than manual belts) that attach to seats and maybe seat trim. (passenger and driver). Another $5 plus shipping. Shipping for these probably $10-15.

Last edited:

Some good info here about different types and recall, thanks. Still like to see pics of the 'problem' with the rooflining/trim fit/incompatibility ...

It seems to be true that none of the Galant manual belts are available from Mitsubishi brand new ... however I think I may have found a source for new sets of both the early and late types in dark gray ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I'll report more if and when I found out more definitive info.

No word yet from mitsubishigraveyard.com ...

I have local options now for the mouse mechanism ... so no need for ridiculous shipping from elsewhere, thanks for the offers anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Boostx: I may well take you up on your offer if I can't find anything before then, even if it is just for the trim parts ... still looking for manual bits right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

mmc_gsx

What else do you need, I might go to the J-yard on wednesday.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts