The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Low compression

This may be a silly question but would lower compression in one cylinder cause a richer or leaner condition and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Wohoo! Good question! This depends on how bad the compression was.

Extreme case:

The one cylinder has compression that is so bad that it isn't firing anymore. You (hypothetically, not actually), being the dumbass that you are, are still driving this thing. Oh, and you are still feeding that cylinder with fuel, because the injector is still plugged in. None of this fuel is being burned, which means the majority of it is being pushed into the exhaust. The O2 sensor sees this, and thinks that the car is running rich, and the ecu responds by leaning everthing out.

So the actual situation is that it goes rich out of the tail pipe, until the computer corrects for it, and then the remaining cylinders go lean.

Good question. Out of curiosity why is it being asked?

Do you have a cylinder with low compression and your are trying to tune?

or is it that your running rich/lean and your paranoid?

ECU + logger and wideband giving different tales and I'm paranoid . And no I would not drive my car if it was that way its still withing the service limit but needs a rebuild anyways. I have a fully built 2.0 waiting to go in but need to get some more funds. I was just curious lol....

Wizardawd

Do both a dry and wet comp test. Post the numbers. If they all shoot up a lot with a wet test, rings are getting worn. If they only go up a tad and still have that one cylinder a little weak, its probably the valves not seating as tight as they used to. Which you may be able to help with a little combustion chamber conditioner.

Wiz

grocery_getter

Quoting galant1517:
Wohoo! Good question! This depends on how bad the compression was.

Extreme case:

The one cylinder has compression that is so bad that it isn't firing anymore. You (hypothetically, not actually), being the dumbass that you are, are still driving this thing. Oh, and you are still feeding that cylinder with fuel, because the injector is still plugged in. None of this fuel is being burned, which means the majority of it is being pushed into the exhaust. The O2 sensor sees this, and thinks that the car is running rich, and the ecu responds by leaning everthing out.

So the actual situation is that it goes rich out of the tail pipe, until the computer corrects for it, and then the remaining cylinders go lean.

If the fuel is not burned completely or only partially burned, then the air is also not burned completely or only partially burned which will increase the O2 content in the exhaust stream. It will flag the O2 sensor to read lean and cause the ecu to give more fuel. O2 sensor doesn't sense fuel, it senses O2 (air).

Same scenario why a missfire always reads lean.

DR1665

Sidecar: Isn't there also a chance that dumping fuel into a dead cylider would wash the walls, contaminate/breakdown the oil, and potentially lead to spun bearings?

/curious

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned