The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

2.3 question

Vr4junkie

How reliable are 2.3 stocker s if I do go this route I will get a used crack from the junk yard but the thing that scares me is I been reading about people snapping cranks but who knows at what power level they were running. My goal for this car are 400hp max and aleast get 50kmi out of the engine will be using 1g rods

147/1000

Won't Last long with a used crack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously tho, if built right with a good tune and not beat on relentlessly it should last quite a while. I personally would use as many new parts as possible.

Last edited:

gramkrakr89

Any engine, built properly, and used within it's practical operating limits, can last as long as you want them to.

Cracks with an unknown history should not be used in a build intended to last a long time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vr4junkie

So a used crank might not be my best bet the car is mostly going to be a DD and weekendcar any one know how much a new crank runs for?

fuel

used crank will be fine so long as it's in spec.

Vr4junkie

Ok what mitsubishi vehicle/year would be the best crank toget it from ??

I was planning on going with 2g pistons but I can get a used crank for $40 out the door at my local pick ur part and get forged internal for about 500 for the stroker

Jesus_Negros

They can be found in the g4cs if you are looking for a 6bolt crack and in the 4g64 for the 7bolt crack.

As far as the 2.3 being reliable as long as its built right then it'll last years. The harmonics and lowend torque breaking trannies is what usually make the 2.3 "seem" unreliable but 400hp isnt much at all. makezdollars has been running his 2.3 for like 5+ years i believe.

Last edited by a moderator:

raptorWagon

Or a crank out of a 6 bolt 4g64 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. That myth of there is no such thing has been busted previously on here.

I personally went with all new parts with my 2.3l, expensive, but I was at the point the motor needed to be rebuilt anyway.

Terry Posten

I have a crank out of a 4g63 6 bolt. But the first thing I did was send it to a trusted shop and had it magnafluxed and measured to make sure it was good. I then had it cryro-treated just to make sure it was stable.

I am on year 3 all with a large framed turbo.

And yes, I have destroyed a stock GVR4 tranny 1st gear and snapped two rear 3 bot axles.

I have the rev limiter set at 7500 and it has never seen anything over 7200. It also has H-beam rods and JE forged sluggs.

However, I think I did kill the driveshaft driving it to the storage shed a month ago. It was making some nasty noises as it was banging against the floor pan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Vr4junkie

Quoting Terry Posten:
I have a crank out of a 4g63 6 bolt. But the first thing I did was send it to a trusted shop and had it magnafluxed and measured to make sure it was good. I then had it cryro-treated just to make sure it was stable.

I am on year 3 all with a large framed turbo.

And yes, I have destroyed a stock GVR4 tranny 1st gear and snapped two rear 3 bot axles.

I have the rev limiter set at 7500 and it has never seen anything over 7200. It also has H-beam rods and JE forged sluggs.

However, I think I did kill the driveshaft driving it to the storage shed a month ago. It was making some nasty noises as it was banging against the floor pan. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Did you go with a new or used crank?

Vr4junkie

What would it take to turbo a 4gcs or 4g64 both 6 bolts I heard third have better rods ratio plus would be a 2.4

raptorWagon

Quoting vr4junkie:

Terry used a stock g64 crank, if you read the first two sentences of his post, he's on his 3rd year with it.

Jesus_Negros

Quoting vr4junkie:
What would it take to turbo a 4gcs or 4g64 both 6 bolts I heard third have better rods ratio plus would be a 2.4

Swap everything from the 4g63t to the 2.4. If you are using the 4g63t dohc cyl head then you need to use 94 galant gs cam gears or adjustable cam gears. Thats all. The stock 2.4 rod ratio (1.50) is NOT better than the stock 2.0 rod ratio (1.70). You can slightly increase the 2.4 rod ratio by using 156mm rods but then comes a whole 'nother build. The g4cs and 4g64 both have a 235mm deck height and stock bore is 86.5mm. Other than that build it like its a 4g63.

Terry Posten

Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting vr4junkie:

Terry used a stock g64 crank, if you read the first two sentences of his post, he's on his 3rd year with it.

The crank had just over 100K on it. That is why I spent the money on magnaflux work and cryo treating.

BTW - If you look at my "rides" thread, I have 360+ WHP. Running a very safe tune for 93 octane. By some fuzzy DSM math that is around 440 (+/- 15) crank HP range. 17ish PSI.

Last edited:

Vr4junkie

So.ur saying I can use stock 4g63 pistons or 2g pistions on a g4cs or 4g64 and would be a turbo 2.4 just have to get different cam gears

Vr4junkie

Quoting Terry Posten:
Quoting raptorreed:
Quoting vr4junkie:

The crank had just over 100K on it. That is why I spent the money on magnaflux work and cryo treating.

BTW - If you look at my "rides" thread, I have 360+ WHP. Running a very safe tune for 93 octane. By some fuzzy DSM math that is around 440 (+/- 15) crank HP range. 17ish PSI.

About how much does it cost to service the crank with the Magnaglux and cyro treating?

Terry Posten

My local shop charged me $75 for the hot tank cleaning, magnaflux, inspection. The Cryo was $100 and they micro polished it after the cryro treat process.

Leon_R

Quoting 147/1000:
Won't Last long with a used crack. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously tho, if built right with a good tune and not beat on relentlessly it should last quite a while. I personally would use as many new parts as possible.

And why is that? Most people used cranks...

Just do not cut them down! But a simple polish job should be OK.

Jesus_Negros

I'm pretty sure he is talkn bout the "crack"

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned