The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Randomly Stops Accelerating Around 5000+ rpms

Hi. I have recently noticed a few times when accelerating getting up to 5 grand and higher, my car will randomly stop accelerating without me letting off the gas. thus jerking me forward. when this happens when my foot is still on the pedal, and it seems like the engine isnt getting enough fuel when boosting...Though i am not sure it is that because its not a normal thing, only has happened a few times. and it only happens when the roads are wet or when its raining outside. this will soon be a problem for me because i live in oregon :/...

Anyways, it has never happened when the roads are dry. I have researched looking on other forums for similar problems, but i have found none that are the same, though similar problems people suggest changing the plugs and wires...Again i dont think they are the problem because it doesnt happen when dry out.. Any Suggestions??

SmoothCustomer

Change your fuel filter, but is your car stock? If it is I'm sure the fuel pump is pushing enough fuel as long as it's not on the fritz. I would still say it is an ignition issue, sometimes strange things happen to these cars with changes in humidity and such. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

No its not stock, its been built very well and runs 18 lbs of boost. Im gonna take a look at my fuel filter tonight and probably replace it and hope i dont have this annoying problem anymore

dammitjim

Quoting Steve462:
Hi. I have recently noticed a few times when accelerating getting up to 5 grand and higher, my car will randomly stop accelerating without me letting off the gas. thus jerking me forward. when this happens when my foot is still on the pedal, and it seems like the engine isnt getting enough fuel when boosting...

Possibly boost cut? Are you running premium gas?

turbowop

The way you describe the issue makes me think fuel cut. Explain "very well built". A mod list will help determine the problem. Could be fuel cut, but that depends on a number of things.

Yes I Only Use Premium. Mods Are:

evo3 16g
evo8 front mount
800cc injectors
FP turbo manifold
3inch exhaust
Walbro 255
ACT 2900 clutch
K&N Intake

All Modds Installed Professionally

Cant Think Of Anything else off the top of my head..but like i said before it only does it when its wet out, whether its raining or not..I'm gonna check for any boost leaks tonight as well as put on a new fuel filter..I appreciate your guys' help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Didnt know if this problem was a common problem or not, so i threw it on the forum for any Appreciated input.

turbowop

Usually when it is raining, it's colder. Colder air equals denser air. Denser air equals fuel cut if you don't have the ECU setup to ignore that. My money is on fuel cut.

Went home tonight, put on a new fuel filter, and noticed after installing it and turned on the engine that the check engine light came on. So i looked back under the hood and found the plug that belonged in the Mass Airflow Sensor was unplugged...plugged it back in, check engine light turned off (and was off before i changed fuel filter) and took it out for a drive. Drove and boosted perfectly at low and high rpms. So i assume the Plug was loose and accidently knocked it out when changing the Fuel Filter. I bet anything that it being loose was the issue. :/ hopefully i have no more problems /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Thanks again for your guys' input.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned