The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Trusted Motor Source

Just like the title says, what is a trusted source for a good 4G63T motor?

Thanks guys.

TylerAdamson

Class One in Freeport Illinois. They build Mike Reichens 1200hp motors.

3rdstrikedsm

Quoting TylerAdamson:
Class One in Freeport Illinois. They build Mike Reichens 1200hp motors.

+1 on class one Terry is a super awesome engine builder who goes above and beyond the normal rebuild.

524of1000

Quoting Red_Bird:
^ He doesn't make motors any more.

Dammit, that's new. Darren made some bad ass motors /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Romanova

Quoting Red_Bird:

f***, a quick check of the website confirms this. I was going to use him to build my motor when the finances were right too... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

^ Yeah Darren made some top notch motors, back in 04' he made a mild build motor for my first Galant. I wish I still had that car.

Ben

Quoting Red_Bird:

this is terrible news. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I was saving to buy an engine from him. I don't know where to go now...

There seems to be some other potential options listed here.
Time to start looking.

Last edited:

Romanova

I guess I would strongly consider an AMS built block and a FFWD head...

How could you not know where to go? AMS is huge in the 4g63 world, hell thats how they started. I know people don't like buschur but he knows what he is doing. RRE has been around forever. Pruven performance is an OG, same with turbotrix, machv motorsports. Pina Motorsports or English Racing all of these guys have been in the 4g63 game for a long time. I'm sure there are more. How about the place where the yellow top speed galant had their motor built, do a search for them.

Ben

I had already ordered parts from Darren in the past and had recenlty let him know I was going to come to him for my engine. His customer service is amazing and he's proven. He treated me like I had been a long time customer when all I was ordering was 2 solid lifters. Why go anywhere else? His location is a little bonus too. Might reduce the shipping cost an arm, instead of an arm AND a leg. On top of that, he offers a warranty. Not likely that a warranty would ever need to be used on any race engine, but just the fact that it's there says something in my eyes.
I'm sure there are many other places that can produce a quality engine with great customer service, but when you've found a great place, why look? It's harder for me because the only connection to the dsm world is the internet. You can't believe everything you read, you also have to take everything with a grain of salt. In my smallish town, I'm the only DSM guy and I'm 5 hours away from any big city, none of which have any known DSM shops. besides FP.

I havn't saved enough for an engine yet anyway, so I have plenty of time to look and decide.

Last edited:

Dan D

I worked with Jack's Transmissions. I was all set and ready to source parts, get machine work done, and do some assembly, but believe it or not, there are no engine machine shops in Houston worth a damn for high horse 4 cylinders. All SBC/F and BBC. They laugh at four cylinders.

Since I was already having them prep my transmission, I inquired about the engine options they list on their site. There is a shop local in Colorado Springs that does good 4 cyl work. They have them do the machining, fitting, balancing, etc. Then Jack does the assembly. For the money they couldn't really be beat because the price included the head as well as the block. Including shipping, I probably only spent a few hundred more than if I had been able to do things in-town myself.

3k miles into the rebuild and so far so good.

Ben

I bought my transmission from them. Great customer service there too!
Prices there have always been good too. I havn't paid much attention to prices, but it seems like Jack's prices changed everyone elses. Several years back they were the best price by far, now it seems like other people came down to their price range.

Quoting Dan D:
I worked with Jack's Transmissions. I was all set and ready to source parts, get machine work done, and do some assembly, but believe it or not, there are no engine machine shops in Houston worth a damn for high horse 4 cylinders. All SBC/F and BBC. They laugh at four cylinders.

Since I was already having them prep my transmission, I inquired about the engine options they list on their site. There is a shop local in Colorado Springs that does good 4 cyl work. They have them do the machining, fitting, balancing, etc. Then Jack does the assembly. For the money they couldn't really be beat because the price included the head as well as the block. Including shipping, I probably only spent a few hundred more than if I had been able to do things in-town myself.

3k miles into the rebuild and so far so good.

The price on the site for the motors, does that include shipping?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned