The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Boost Controller/ Turbo Timer Location

I tried searching and I couldn't find much of what I was looking for. I am looking for ideas of where to put a turbo timer and an electronic boost controller. I am trying to get my hands on older electronics that match the interior lights.

Thanks for any ideas guys.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I usually put my turbo timer in the vent location under the steering wheel.

PreskitVR4

I wanted the exact same thing. I found a very simple APEX turbo timer that matches our amber color perfectly. The boost controller would be an old GReddy profec B. People selling them are freakin' proud of them though. I have them side by side under the cd player, but that assumes you have an afftermarket single din radio.

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Depending on the size of your electronics, I cut the front of the ashtray out and mounted a turbo timer in there. I really took it slow and fitted it perfectly so there were no unsightly gaps.

JSchleim18

I put my profec B (soon to be for sale) in the center console in a very nice manner. I wonder where my pics are of it. I also had an apexi turbo timer that I installed just to the left of the steering wheel.

mitsuturbo

89 under dash has a nice pocket that's good for hiding such things inside of. I cut holes in the back/bottom of the pocket so wires could pass through and not be pinched/kinked anywhere.

Then again, i'm mounting my WBo2 gauge, SBC-iD and Power meter iD in my driver side visor this time around. I just have to extend some wires to go down the A pillar.

Last edited:

BluFalcon

Like someone mentioned previously, the ashtray makes for a good mounting location with some careful trimming. I mounted the control box for my old school AVC-R there and trimmed the plate to fit.

Quoting mitsuturbo:
89 under dash has a nice pocket that's good for hiding such things inside of. I cut holes in the back/bottom of the pocket so wires could pass through and not be pinched/kinked anywhere.

Same here, '89 under dash with the pocket FTW. Plus the 89 underdash is much lighter than the US spec piece.

BluFalcon

On my first GVR-4, I had my Greddy TT mounted in the vent under the steering column like Cheeky there. Worked great, with no issues until I was showing off on some back country roads one day.

Came around a corner, with my ass end hanging out and the throttle floored. Let off the gas, and the throttle cable got hung up internally. Engine is now bouncing off the rev limiter, and won't come back down. I shut off the ignition when I hear the distinctive sounds of my Turbo Timer starting its countdown. Crap. I forgot to hook up the emergency brake bypass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif One of those things that I "would get to later". I'm still accelerating down said podunk two lane country road, and fumbling underneath the dash trying to find the off button on the TT. After much frantic stabbing, and cursing I finally get the damn thing turned off. Engine shuts down and I try to get the car pulled over to the side of the road with no power brakes or steering from 65 miles an hour. Fun.

Just a cautionary tale. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mitsuturbo: Got that shift boot off of E-Bay of all places. Found a place making leather shift boots for 3000GT/Stealths and ordered one with red stitching to match the MOMO "Tuner" steering wheel I had on the car at the time. Took a little modification, but it fit just fine. Had to use the plastic collar from a DSM shift boot to make it look factory.

Last edited:

Now for those who put it in the ash tray, is the tray sealed shut or do you have it to where it opens? Like I said I'm going through the effort of getting the older electronics that match the lighting, so the under dash would be last resort. I just want to make it look stock and nothing out of place.

I'm a big guy too so I would be afraid to knee something on the under dash when I would be getting out.

mitsuturbo

89826-0-0-0.jpg

AnotherNewb

I cut the front of the ashtray out and fit the tt so it was protruding out the front. Other than being silver it looks factory. A plus to mounting it like that is that you have a great stash spot within easy access that isnt noticable to the untrained eye.

Quoting cheekychimp:

This is where I have mine too just like cheekychimp & Iceman69510. Completely out of sight I often forget it's there. For those with a SAFC, I recommend you open it up, drill a hole in the back cover & route the wires through there. It makes for a cleaner install where you don't see that wire sticking out the side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

cheekychimp

Quoting Red_Bird:
I'm a big guy too so I would be afraid to knee something on the under dash when I would be getting out.

Steve if you are specifically sourcing a turbo timer or boost controller with a green display to match the interior and want to put it on display, I can understand you not wanting to hide it under the dash. That said, I am 6' 5" tall and about 230 lbs so I am not what you would call small but it is pretty much impossible to catch that timer with your knee, especially if you get one with dimensions that allow it to fit right in that vent like the GReddy one. I have that specific timer on both of my cars, just because it fits so perfectly. When you remove the vertical slats in the vent, keep a few. They match the profile of the vent exactly and make excellent shims to centre the timer in the slot and get a really snug fit.

mitsuturbo

Thanks blacksheep.

sag1441, that's a very nice looking (clean) install. Looks like it was a total pain in the ass too.

AnotherNewb

Quote:
sag1441, that's a very nice looking (clean) install. Looks like it was a total pain in the ass too.

Agreed on both counts.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned