The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Head rebuild

GVR-4

What business do you guys recommend for head cleaning and machining? I may upgrade the springs, as I want to use HKS 272 cams, and I will use 3rd gen lifters, but for everything else stock specs are fine. Please post the prices for what you had done.

jepherz

Staff member
I may get flamed for this, but have you tried looking for a local head shop to do the work? I take the heads I have worked on to a local shop, but I have no doubt there's at least a few other competant shops in the country /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

EMX5636

If it's just a standard re-fresh you're looking for, then I agree with Jeff. I have 2 or 3 local machine shops to me that do very nice work on aluminum heads. If it was porting and etc, then you might want to look more specialized, but for what you need, just call around and use the guy who seems to have the most experience with import 4 cylinders and aluminum.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Use their expertise, but make sure to explain your desires and expectations clearly and fully to your machinist (talk it over with them).

GVR-4

Yes, it's true there may be a good machine shop or two in Asheville. But the guy who is most recommended for his machining aptitude doesn't have the equipment or the desire to make the head look new when I get it back (i.e.: bead blasting, hot tanking). That's why I'm strongly considering sending it off to a place that has a lot of experience with 4g63 heads and can do a legitimate overhaul. I would just like to hear feedback on machinists that people on the board have been pleased with.

89Mirageman

David, if it were me I'd skip over any shop that tosses these in a blast cabinet. I honestly don't see how you'd ever get all that crap out of the little crevices. My local machine shop just dips/soaks them in some sort of aluminum cleaner. Depending on what shape the head is in it may or may not come out looking new but it'll be clean. Most places paint the head silver before it's rebuilt. I think the last one I had done cost me a little over $200 but I think there were a few bent valves and busted guides to replace.

89Mirageman

While that's true there are some things that you need. I would never put an aluminum head on without having it resurfaced. I'm sure many have bolted them on without doing this but why chance it? Also you may need to cut the seats or reface the valves, both require knowledge and special tools. You also need a special tool to remove the valves from the head.

I have really considered trying to do my next head myself but when I think about what could go wrong the $200 or so that the local shop charges sounds like a sweet deal. This is coming from a hardcore DIY guy too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned