The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

help identify my ECU and its condition

James

Took my ECU out of my 90 galant gsx and took some pics of the board. Im curious as to what this ECU is out of, because the previous owner turbo charged the GSX. but i dont know if he did a full motor swap or just put a turbo on the NT 4g63. identifying this ECU will get me one step closing to figuring this motor out.

c8e311c7.jpg

20998885.jpg

3b502dd3.jpg

9274eb01.jpg

00f8e2aa.jpg

James

Google tiold me that this ECU is from a 91-92 Turbo AWD MT car. how does this work in my 90 gsx? unless maybe the previous owner swapped the whole wiring harness.... i need help ugh. not knowing what exactly my motor is or where is from is killing me.

mitsuturbo

Quoting James:
Google tiold me that this ECU is from a 91-92 Turbo AWD MT car. how does this work in my 90 gsx? unless maybe the previous owner swapped the whole wiring harness.... i need help ugh. not knowing what exactly my motor is or where is from is killing me.

One quick/easy check for the wiring harness would be to see if there is a knock sensor. NA cars didn't get them.

James

I have a knock sensor, i can feel it on the back of the block. But my oil filer housing look to be from a NT motor... thus adding to my confusion.

any other ways to tell what wiring harness i have in the car? or what motor i have in the car? or anything.

holeshotmoe

Didn't see you had posted you found it was turbo ecu. You could post a pic of the engine which might provide clues as to whether it came out of a turbo car or if the PO just slapped a turbo on it. Cam cover on ggsx was light bronze, mitsubishi letters without the 3 diamonds. DSMs without mitsubishi and VR4 with mitsu and diamonds. However, since so many parts are interchangeable, it might be difficult to know from appearance if the pistons were changed. But perhaps you could run a compression test. The turbo cars would have a lower comp ratio...somebody help me out. Think the turbo motors were 8:1 ish and NT motors were 9:1 or higher?

Last edited:

James

Heres some pictures.

9cead775.jpg

350776ec.jpg

45b79725.jpg

599d1e39.jpg

9b7ec3de.jpg

and what is this plug???

609f3937.jpg

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned