The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Help Identify Engine Block

Specter

Okay i am a bit confused here. I saw an engine block which had this number: 4G63TR4662. By this number, it means that its a 4G63 Turbo. What would R mean? I tried searching for it but did not get anything. Is R some random series of the block or is it to specifically identify something, perhaps in which car the company gave it in? Also, if it is a turbo block, why would it have flat shaped pistons, higher compression, rather then dish shaped lower compression pistons. The pistons were standard factory pistons. The oil pan was also one of NA engine, no hole for the turbo return line. The guy said it had a 2g head with N/A 4g63 Exhaust Manifold. He did not know which car was it from. Any ideas what block this might be? NA or Turbo?

89Mirageman

Sounds like its probably a na engine. Is there anything on the piston tops. If they are stock they would have a "T" if it was a turbo engine. At least the 1g and 2g and GVR4's do. Maybe post up some pics.

Specter

It would take time to get the pics, but i will try to get them, i remember it had STD written on it, but i guess its short for "Standard".

G

Staff member
Where on the block was this stamped? Pics?

Specter

No i dont have pics as right now, i will try to get them. If your asking about STD, it was stamped in the center of the pistons.

mitsuturbo

factory pistons are not stamped with any size, afaik..
that block has probably been rebuilt or had the pistons replaced at some point in its lifetime

Specter

Oh Wait..i have seen pictures of people showing pistons which came out of their 4g63t. Most have 63T stamped on them. Isn't that factory?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
The TR4662 is just the serial build number for the engine assembly. Doesn't indicate a turbo.

broxma

If it has flat top pistons which sit flush with the deck and it's a 6 bolt 4G63 it's an NA block. The turbo pistons dish down. The 2G pistons sit more flush and the Evo pistons are basically flush.

/brox

Specter

Okay so lets suppose, if it were to be a turbo block would the serial number be this => 4G63TTR4662? I am a bit confused with the number. If does say T, i think its supposed to be a turbo block? Internals might have been swapped with an NA engine therefore pistons might be flat, but i think the engine number at least indicates a turbo block?

steve

Quoting iceman69510:
The TR4662 is just the serial build number for the engine assembly. Doesn't indicate a turbo.

^^

mitsuturbo

Quoting broxma:
If it has flat top pistons which sit flush with the deck and it's a 6 bolt 4G63 it's an NA block. The turbo pistons dish down. The 2G pistons sit more flush and the Evo pistons are basically flush.

/brox

Even the NA 4g63 pistons have a bit of dish to them.

broxma

The average person with binocular vision should be able to get the idea though. The NA piston have about .5mm dish maybe compared to the 1G turbo pistons which have a real dish. You get my point. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/brox

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Quoting Specter:
Okay so lets suppose, if it were to be a turbo block would the serial number be this => 4G63TTR4662? I am a bit confused with the number. If does say T, i think its supposed to be a turbo block? Internals might have been swapped with an NA engine therefore pistons might be flat, but i think the engine number at least indicates a turbo block?

No, the serial number will not add another "T". I don't believe the engine has any external indicator of it being a turbo.

fuel

Quoting iceman69510:

This man speaks the truth. Contrary to popular belief the turbo 4G63 isn't actually stamped 4G63T or is even down as a 4G63T anywhere in Mitsubishi publications - it's just a letter people have added on to denote the turbo engine. Some people also include the 'B' from the older 'G63B' code naming into the newer 4G63 engine code as well.

It is my understanding that the turbo blocks had oil squirters and the non-hair dryer versions were without. Am I correct?

fuel

Yep correct but there are N/A blocks with oil squirters too such as the AMG Tune 4G63.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts