The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Welded center diff....

onesickcrx

Do a lot of you guys drive your daily street cars with center welded diff's? This is my first car with a welded diff and other then going straight I hate it....

jmorri15

i decide to go with the 4spider and keep power steering after driving a laser (with manuel steering and a 4 spider) and a talon (with power steering but a welded diff). for me it was way too much effort to haul the car around.

Gizmovr4

Welcome back Cory!! That was quick! I agree welded center on a daily is rough - but you will adjust your driving style to it.. Good luck with the new car!!

onesickcrx

Thanks... I wasn't planning on getting back into the game but couldn't pass up the deal. Yea I think power steering or a manual rack would help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif

turbowop

After reading all the bitching about it on forums across the internet, i expected the worst from my welded center diff and was not looking forward to installing my new trans that has it. Now that I've driven it, I feel it's very tolerable. With power steering anyway. I would probably avoid having to parallel park the thing though. And this is coming from a guy that just swapped from a twin disk to a single because I couldnt stand the driveability of the twin.

DynastyLCD

100% of my cars have been setup with welded diff's for the past 3 years or so. i have found that the non LSD rear ends seem to have the worst driveability. my 1g with the 4 bolt LSD and no power steering isn't all that bad with the welded diff.

the worst is when you get so used to it, driving another one without feels like somethings wrong lol

beaner

I personally hate it and wish it wasn't such a bitch to remove. It's my least favorite mod. I do more city driving than anything else so I guess I have reason to dislike it so much. While cruising it's fine, anything you can imagine experiencing in a parking lot just sucks. Even at the high end of the learning curve, getting around in parking lots can easily make you look like you just learned to drive a stick that day. Sticky tires and a 2600 pp add no finesse.

NateCrisman

I love it, and weld every DSM center In every car I'v owned. I can't stand the front wheel peel on launches

bazeng

I've got from kaaz Mech LSD, rear EVO 3 Mech LSD, PAR dog box with solid centre spool and a twin plate carbonic clutch.... Twin plate makes your car sound broken, dog box makes it sound like you can't drive stick properly (have to let the gears come to a full stop before going into first or crunch!), locked diff causes you to not parallel park (to avoid those binding Axel sounds) and mechanical diffs make it seem that you have dodgy CVs and that you are too poor to fix it. The joys of having a modified car

wait till u take your car to a oil place.
Took my welded gvr4 to a jiffy lube with a turbo timer.
all I can say is OMG lol

GSX_TC

Lol do tell..

onesickcrx

So I drove the car about 200 miles this weekend... I can see how it can be fun to drive and predictable with the welded center diff... but its just not for me I live in a very twisty stop and go traffic area. I guess if I hadn't already had one of these cars with lsd front and rear and a 4 spider center I wouldnt mind this to much. O and I cant stand driving this with a single disk clutch. How do people drive these car with single disk and around 600hp the delay that you need to use to shift it smoothly is just plain ridiculous /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

So now do I pull the trans out put a 4 spider and twin disk in or part it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

turbowop

That's hilarious you're like the exact opposite of me with regards to driveability of these particular parts. I guess i just dont feel the need to have to shift that fast on the street, so im okay with the single disk. I'll probably wish i had the twin back if I ever go to the track again though.

onesickcrx

That is pretty funny... The center diff I could live with if it had power steering. The clutch couldnt pay me to put another single disk in... Act's lock out F this I am sure its good for most people. My old car would have pulled car lengths every time I shift this car. But if your happy thats good for you /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

turbowop

Yeah, not having PS would probably be a deal breaker on the welded center for me as well.

The whole reason i got a twin in the first place was due to ACT's crap quality. Im hoping the TMZ setup shifts well and holds power. Time will tell. This is also the best trans I've ever had, what with all the double synchros and Evo3 3-4, so hopefully that helps as well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned