The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Which Trans Shep, Tre, Jacks ? Im tired of breaking my Trans

Yao

I've TRE and Jack's on both my eclipse and galant. Neither has problems after 1 year, If anything, I think Jack's shifts a little bit smoother.

Don't forget that TRE has supported us in the past with Trannies for raffle during the '3 Speed GT' meet in PA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif.

deez

I have a Jack's trans with the evo3 first gear and so far its fine. I have about 7k on it with no issues. One thing I was bummed about was the shifting feels the same as stock, not smoother like I would have hoped and still very notchy, but I guess thats just these transmissions. It does shift into gear and any rpm very well, a huge improvement over stock.

GVR4_1057

This is a good thing to consider if anyone is debating as to which tranny to purchase. It seems as if all 3 shops make a great transmission. I like to support shops that give back to us.

Quoting Garfield Wright:
Don't forget that TRE has supported us in the past with Trannies for raffle during the '3 Speed GT' meet in PA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif.

thecman02

I had my trans built by TRE this summer. I live 10 minutes away so I always stop in and bounce questions off him when I need good advice. The guy is a maniac, in a good way. He knows his sh*t. My transmission is flawless. I got a hybrid build between two and three. I also got my gears shot-peened for good measure. Just tell him what your goals are and he'll be honest with you.

381gvr4

I have to say from only dealing with John @ TRE I've had no reason to go anywhere else! Not only does he offer a great rebuild service but for DIY-ers he has GREAT customer service/tech support. He is a ONE MAN SHOW!!!!! So email is your best bet(plus he will talk your ear off if you get him on the phone). +1 for TRE

I've never purchased a tre trans straight from them but the trans in my car is supposed to be some bad ass race trans and it has leaked fluid since the day it rolled off the transport like a vegas hooker trying to break the houston 520 record. I can't wait to get rid of it.

381gvr4

^^^Shipping to 06450??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tighten the case, and check the axle seals Mike. I bet $$ that the case is a bit loose.

Jon, its next on the list of fixes. No fluid coming from the axle area though just from everywhere else including the reverse light switch.

Ian M

I had one hell of a time getting ahold of anyone at TRE when I was buying a trans for my white car a couple years ago,either by calling and leaving messages,or email. They had a already built trans in stock on their website,and I had the CC out ready to buy. I eventually gave up and called Shepherd.

Back then I heard of others having the same problem. I guess that area of TREs customer service has improved since then!

Last edited:

Bimmubishi

We do a lot of business with Jon at TRE with the road race evos. He definitely knows his business.

Shep has also been helpful to the shop in the past with service and parts. We're lucky to have both resources for sure.

381gvr4

^^ Thanks for the back-up Alex!

Lonewolf64

I had a very good experience with John at TRE. I ordered a Stage 1 rebuild for my vr4. He had a stage 2 already built and lying around, and event though I only paid for a stage 1 rebuild, he went ahead and sent the more expensive trans. Not only that, but his exchange service is great. He sends you a transmission and when you get it you ship your core back in the same box. I also received said tranny 2-3 days ahead of the scheduled arrival date.

I had always planned on sending mine to shep, but tre is only about 1.5 hours away, and shep is about 5, so I went to tre. he tore the trans down right in front of me and showed me the week spots and such.He showed me some broken gears and described to me why they broke. then he showed me around the shop and let me check out his awesome old school colt. he even cut me a deal on a stage 2. he knows his stuff, the only problem I have with tre is they dont answer their phone enough. but honestly I would think any of the three trans names are good, I would have work done by any of them, its just that TRE is close to me.

the dog box's are loud, they whine as your speed increases, and they clunk going into gears. I honestly would love it, but I do believe it would get annoying.

Oh and the trans itself has take some good abuse. I dont reve past 7k (stock valvetrain for now) but it never has problems going into gear or anything. the only issue with my trans is that it can be a little tricky getting into reverse, but it will always go in.

Gimpin

as others have said all 3 are pretty much know to be good.... My prefrence would be jacks for a few reasons ... 1) he's local to me 2) one of the nicests down to earth guys you could ever talk to 3) the kind of guy willing to explain somthing or dumb it down for you if needed 4) is a great contributer to the DSM community (there have been several times at 9pm on a saturday night I needed a specific washer or bolt and he has always been nice enough to hook me up if he has it (couple times free of charge)

deluded

TRE built our transmission. it has held up to nearly 900whp for 3 miles at a time without incident. shifts like butter at 9500rpm, too. i can't say enough about how happy we are with Jon's work.

RaVer Motorsports; home of the Bonneville record-holding Galant VR4 at over 216mph.

I dont know if anybody on here is from the pacific northwest but here in vancouver we have a guy named lucas english of english racing he has been rebuilding dsm gvr4 trannys for quite some time a couple for 9 sec dsms ......everybody around here goes to him for any dsm/evo/gvr4 problems that we come across.....any way his website is www.englishracing.net

onesickcrx

Quoting deluded:
TRE built our transmission. it has held up to nearly 900whp for 3 miles at a time without incident. shifts like butter at 9500rpm, too. i can't say enough about how happy we are with Jon's work.

RaVer Motorsports; home of the Bonneville record-holding Galant VR4 at over 216mph.

900 hp for 3 miles at full throttle damn. What is exactly in your trans? That sure did take alot of abuse to hold that type of power. What gearing / gears are you running? Cryo treated? Shot peened? Polished gear set? Dog box I want to know it all lol congrates on the run very sick car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned