The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cooling system questions

Lucas03ES

Im going to be running a Garret with an A/R .70 coldside and .82 hotside with A/C still intact, along with an ETS FMIC kit. Considering the vegas heat (120*F but minimal humidity during summer), does anyone think I would have any problems running a PWR civic half sized radiator with a 12" SPAL puller fan? All input is appreciated, thanks!

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Do you still have A/C?
How thick is the radiator?
Can you squeeze a 14" fan on there?

Lucas03ES

Yes I plan on running A/C still. I believe it is either 2" or 2.5", and im not sure if a 14" fan will fit.

birdman24

From my understanding it needs to be at least 2.5" thick

Last edited:

iLLeffeKt vr-4

Yes you need one that's at least 2.5" thick especially if you plan on running A/C. I was able to squeeze a 14" fan on my civic half size radiator and never had any problems with running hot or anything. It was actually running cooler than with the stock radiator. My car did not have A/C but I did have the ETS front mount intercooler.

Yup I am willing to bet you will have cooling issues. A few guys out here in Phoenix have had to stop using ac because they can't cool enough with two fans, water wetter and aluminum radiators. They also have big fmic.

But by all means try it for yourself. I would NOT recommend a smaller radiator though. If anything this is what I'm going to eventually do when I find the time/money, I'm going to get a smaller condenser. Like a civic radiator sized condenser to free up an entire side of the radiator for air to flow through.

donniekak

If i can't get my ac to work this summer, (1gdsm 3.5" fmic, aluminum rad, stock passenger fan, slim driverside fan), i'm going to mount a smaller secondary rad where the stock smic was, and add a 6", or however big i can fit fan to the secondary rad. It's just really rough when the ambient air at 1' off the pavement is 130*+, then it goes through an ac coil, gets heated up another 50*, and you are left with trying to cool an engine with 180* air.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned