The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Intake manifold gasket

vtecds1

Just curious which ones you guys use. The OEM price is not bad but I would need 2 for my FRH. I've seen some cheaper price ones(Beck/Arnley, Felpro) that go for $7-$9. Not sure what the difference are, but if they seal the same, I'll be going with the cheaper priced ones.

bigblock4g63

i like fel-pro...also how is the intake, the one i had before had alot of bad casting marks and bumps

vtecds1

Now does the Fel-pro have the metal rings around the ports? Did you put a seal(liquid sealant) anywhere the gasket? The only problems that I ran into was when I was polishing the plenum. Pits would show up just when I thought I was done sanding it down. Overall it looks like a normal cast manifold. How did you like yours? I can't wait to install mine and see how it performs.

mikus

It was spendy ($40ish?) but I liked Hondata's heat barrier IM gasket, sealed up nicely and is reusable. I was advised by others to watch for melting but it held up fine in my ownership.

bigblock4g63

Quoting vtecds1:
Now does the Fel-pro have the metal rings around the ports? Did you put a seal(liquid sealant) anywhere the gasket? The only problems that I ran into was when I was polishing the plenum. Pits would show up just when I thought I was done sanding it down. Overall it looks like a normal cast manifold. How did you like yours? I can't wait to install mine and see how it performs.

bigblock4g63

Quoting vtecds1:

i made 12hp less with my FHM intake vs my HOGAN intake...i ended up pulling it off to port it because it had some really bad casting marks all over it.

vtecds1

Quoting mikus:
It was spendy ($40ish?) but I liked Hondata's heat barrier IM gasket, sealed up nicely and is reusable. I was advised by others to watch for melting but it held up fine in my ownership.

I've heard that people had good results with those also, but $40 each(x2) is going to put me over budget. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

vtecds1

Quoting bigblock4g63:
i made 12hp less with my FHM intake vs my HOGAN intake...i ended up pulling it off to port it because it had some really bad casting marks all over it.

Gotcha!!! I thought you meant on the outside. But yeah, it's pretty rough inside the plenum and runners. I've asked a couple of guys if I should sand it down or not...and of course I got mixed results. I still got time before I finally install it, so I might just go ahead and smooth things out.

Also, I've heard from some people that they had boost leak problems with theirs. Welding the plenum to the runner or adding extra screws was the remedy, did you have any problems?

cheekychimp

Are you not using the FRH manifold/spacer/heat barrier thingy? I thought there was no need for a gasket if you were using that? Or are you trying to keep the runners shorter. I'm just throwing it out there because I believe some guys have used various heat barrier manifold spacers without gaskets with good results and they are not that expensive and reusable so it might be another option to look at.

Edit: Okay so someone has actually mentioned this above ... but I am lost, why do you need two? I've got a Forrester on the car at the moment and I don't recall anything about it that required two gaskets? Have I forgotten something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Last edited:

bigblock4g63

Quoting vtecds1:
Quoting bigblock4g63:

Gotcha!!! I thought you meant on the outside. But yeah, it's pretty rough inside the plenum and runners. I've asked a couple of guys if I should sand it down or not...and of course I got mixed results. I still got time before I finally install it, so I might just go ahead and smooth things out.

Also, I've heard from some people that they had boost leak problems with theirs. Welding the plenum to the runner or adding extra screws was the remedy, did you have any problems?

i would port the intake then weld it...that is what i did with every FHM intake i have touched. any ques feel free to call me 908 884 8720

bigblock4g63

Quoting cheekychimp:
Are you not using the FRH manifold/spacer/heat barrier thingy? I thought there was no need for a gasket if you were using that? Or are you trying to keep the runners shorter. I'm just throwing it out there because I believe some guys have used various heat barrier manifold spacers without gaskets with good results and they are not that expensive and reusable so it might be another option to look at.

Edit: Okay so someone has actually mentioned this above ... but I am lost, why do you need two? I've got a Forrester on the car at the moment and I don't recall anything about it that required two gaskets? Have I forgotten something /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

on some of the heat barriers are made cheap and still leak...buy a magnus or hondata gasket....

vtecds1

Quoting cheekychimp:

I read this short write up. I thought it would still need it even though I installed the wooden spacer. I'm not sure on this one now...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned