The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

intake manifold gasket

mikus

blew out my intake mani gasket, looking around I see aftermarket ones that claim improved performance based on spacing out the intake (thus reducing temps)

Worthwhile or just go with OEM?

Magnus heat barrier gasket works great. There are a couple others out there too. Worth it if you've already got to take the manifold off.

ktmrider

Hondata is the most recognized, tried one on my Subaru with excellent results. I could grab the IM immediately after driving where b4 it would remove finger and palm prints.
Search for "phrenolic" on Tuners for more goodies...

Last edited:

Kenny_Kline

I am just running the stock OEM mitsu gasket. I used new hardware and torqued down to spec. No problems and there shouldnt be any.

One day when I really get bored, I am pulling the manifold and going to put a heat barrier gasket on there. Not so much for the performance reasons (if any) but just because its reusable. I run one on the GFs Honda civic and the manifold is ALOT cooler than what it used to be.

CarRacer

Phenolic works great as a intake spacer. We ran one on our car between the carb and intake. It worked quite well.
It's sort of like wood or a compressed fiber board.

I'd like to think torque might be affected a bit due to lengthening the runners, although someone could shoot me down on that as I'm just guessing.
The reduction in heat transfer would really help. Although, the IM is working as a heat sink and that generated heat has to go somewhere.

dsmtalontsi95

I know this is an old thread but are there anymore opinions on the oem gaskets, and the heat barier?

mikus

Im running that hondata one now - as above, the 'reusable' factor sold me. Manifold does feel cooler to the touch as well. They have some data on their site to support it, but what aftermarket parts maker doesn't heh....

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts